Cloudy beer after the fridge? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cloudy beer after the fridge?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
stevesbeer
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southeast PA

I made a pretty huge mistake and stirred up my brew a bit while bottling it. It is an English IPA.....my first AG batch too! After about three weeks, the bottles cleared up to my happiness! I threw one in the fridge over night to test and it clouded up again....I was careful not to shake things up. Does the cold naturally stir up the beer? Hopefully this is dumb question!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 211 Times on 164 Posts

Sounds like chill haze.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

I agree it sounds like chill haze. The good news is it's an English IPA which shouldn't be chilled lower than about 55F. There should be no chill haze at that temperature, and after you have had a few to educate your taste buds, you will find that it tastes much better than when it is over chilled.

-a.

theguy Likes This 
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
ifishsum

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

The better news is that if you leave them in the refrigerator for a week or two, the chill haze should be significantly reduced and often will disappear altogether.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Houston, TX
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, as other mentioned it sounds like chill haze. I have yet to avoid this in my brews too, but as others mentioned it will dissipate after a few weeks in the fridge.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
theguy
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I agree it sounds like chill haze. The good news is it's an English IPA which shouldn't be chilled lower than about 55F. There should be no chill haze at that temperature, and after you have had a few to educate your taste buds, you will find that it tastes much better than when it is over chilled.
AJF, Thanks for the info....I just cracked my first English IPA open last night and poured it into a frosty mug from the freezer. Tasted good, but not great. Will let it warm a little tonight and compare.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

It should taste much better when it warms up. Skip the frosty mug next time. Those are only good for BMC. I find most of my home brewed beer tastes great after its been sitting out for about 10 min. I'll even drink my brown ales at room temp.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #8

I have been wondering about this same thing. Didn't know there was a name for it: "chill haze." The good news is that all my batches to date (admittedly only a few) have gotten past the "chill haze stage" to the point where they are crystal clear even when very cold. Though they are drinkable when still exhibiting chill haze, my rule of thumb now is not to drink them until it is gone--and so far every batch is better after this stage.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
beerkrump

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Triune, TN
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Just to go a little deeper into chill haze. It is caused by proteins dropping out of solution as the beer cools. These proteins do not contribute any off flavors, so don't worry about that. Chill haze is usually a result of an incomplete cold break. If you can get a better cold break, chill haze will be a thing of the past.

Oh yeah, +1 on not chilling your glasses.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
stevesbeer
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southeast PA

Thanks all....I just made a copper coil setup to my faucet to cool my wort quicker. Works pretty well and cools down 5 galloons boil in about 10 minutes or less. Is that what is called a cold break?