Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What to make for my non-beery wife?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You can still ferment apple juice without adding the extra sugar. In fact, you can even drop the ABV by diluting the juice with water.

Has she tried a Belgian Wit like Hoegarden?

How about meads?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
bakins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Has she tried a Belgian Wit like Hoegarden?

How about meads?
She hates licorice and claims Hoegarden tastes like licorice. (i'm not a fan either, but I like other Wit's).

Yeah, she likes the dry meads, just mine are usually 14% or so. Was wanting something for drinking around the grill, gardening, etc.

She just bought a few 6 packs of the gosh-awful fruit "malt beverages," if that gives you an idea. However, I think a nice light ale with a touch of fruit would be palatable. She actually didn't wretch when she tasted my uncarbed belgian golden strong (which I think came out a little too fruity).

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I need to made Apfelwein with some decent base juice - I used wal-mart brand last time.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

For meads, how about a nice hydromel? use 1.5# of honey a gallon or so. It will also be ready and aged much faster that way.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, light meads are like ginger ale and quaffable. I thought I hated mead at first because all the samples I had were 10% +++++++.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
For meads, how about a nice hydromel?
Hmmm... I'll look into that.

I was also thinking about a very "small" braggot - like 1.050 with maybe like 1/2 ounce of hallertau select or some aged hops.

I may need to investigate making some small - 2.5 gallon - batches. I could probably do some stove-top partial mash batches. My setup is really not worth it unless I'm doing normal 5 gallon batches.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yeah, light meads are like ginger ale and quaffable. I thought I hated mead at first because all the samples I had were 10% +++++++.
I've got one that's over 20% and dangerously drinkable. Lots of homegrown blueberries and some champagne yeast. We hide it when we have guests...

I can never seem to get a medium sweet mead. Mine are either really dry or really sweet. I may try a really "small" mead. Meads are easy because there's no boiling.

Anyone every tried brett in a mead? Just thinking out loud...