I've had a couple in buckets, there was a solid 2-3" of headspace during high-krausen. Even if it went up, krausen can compress a bunch in a bucket. I do put a towel under my weizen buckets, just in case, and so far, never had a spill.
I had an explosion even with the blow-off tube. Now I use an airlock, but just set the bucket lid on loose, with a little weight to hold it in place. After a few days, I check the bottom of the airlock and snap the lid down. It can still run over the top, but it won't be violent.
I just bottled this and it has quite a bit more of an orange hue than what i was expecting from a dunkelweizen. The color is similar to Masel's weiss. Has anybody else brewed this and acheived a similar color? I followed the recipe verbatim and just want to check that I didn't make a mistake.
I've had this fermenting for two weeks now and it's still not done! At a 1.020 gravity and still falling! My OG came out to 1.063. A question for those who bottled this, how much priming sugar did you use? I want to be ready so I can bottle ASAP. It tastes good so far and am very much looking forward to it! Thanks
With liquid yeast, I've found that it takes significantly more time than with dry yeast. My batch with WB-06 took <10 days and 3068 and WLP300 both took about 4 weeks finish up (with 1L starters). They're really slow with this brew.
I used the wyeast smack pack so I'm assuming that's why it is taking so long. No big deal though. And for anyone planning to use an airlock for this, I'd recommend a blowoff tube instead. I ended up with a huge mess in my freezer and it smells like old stale beer
I used danstar wheat and had activity within 12 hours. I also used an s-airlock and had no issues. The only times I have ever had issues with an s- airlock is when I have to re-pitch the yeast in wheat beers.