Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Leftover yeast cake

Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
joentuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leftover yeast cake

Ok I have heard of people reusing the yeast cake after racking off their brew, so here Is my plan. I made a southern cider which consist of 4gal apple juice, 3cans of concentrate, 1# honey, 4oz mollases. I put it all in a 6gal glass Carboy and it has been sitting for almost 4 weeks. I am planning on racking it into a secondary later this week. My question is after racking it off can I just add my ingredients to the left over cake on the bottom? I have heard about doing this befor but I haven't ever really tried it? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Thank to all the pros out there who chime in on this one.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you are going to make another batch of the same recipe, I think you will be fine. The cons are that some of the flavor of the concentrate, honey, and molasses will be left behind, and it's only a con if you are going to do something different in the next recipe. I would also consider letting it sit for another four weeks.... It will really clarify nicely...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!