Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > White Labs Vial - Little Pressure

Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default White Labs Vial - Little Pressure

I put together a starter this evening using White Labs WLP 001. I slowly cracked the seal on the vial and after a very small fizz the pressure was totally released. This is contrary behavior to other WL vials I have opened. I really didn't examine the vial seal to ensure it was intact prior to twisting it open. Should I be concerned?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Completely normal. Just the CO2 that was built up from the yeast during transport.

EDIT: Oh, you were commenting on how little pressure was released, maybe you got a well treated vial. I also find that they have less pressure when they are cold, so I like to "relieve" the pressure as it warms when I take it out of the fridge.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6205 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

No, that's fine. That's how it should be. The only time I've had it spray out on me is when I followed the directions to "shake well". I did that, and opened it and had an amazing yeast fountain/shower. I now shake it up to mix, then ever so gently open and get a small "pssftt". Then, I open it the rest of the way. There's no reason for it to be under pressure, so it sounds like it went just fine for you.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks for the reassurance. I too have experienced a yeast shower so I was expecting more gas release when I opened the vial. Most of my experience has been with dry yeast.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Jeepnbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I too have experienced a yeast shower so I was expecting more gas release when I opened the vial. Most of my experience has been with dry yeast.
He said yeast shower.. That doesn't even sound good.. I agree above mine did the same after opening slowly...