Cleaning up a bad batch ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Had my first infection. Got two cases of raunchy hefe-weizen sitting in bottles in the closet. Lots of floaties and a ring around the neck after only two weeks in the bottle. Lots of foam, tastes terrible, etc. I've made this recipe four times now so I'm 99.9% sure it's feed for the drain.

Is oxy-clean sufficient for the carboy and bottles, or should I break out the bleach? I just plan to thouroghly hot water rinse and star-san the plastic/vinyl items that came into contact with this beer.

I did two things different with this batch. First, I put a two-month-old(refridgerated/warmed) jar of washed WLP300 directly into the beer without a starter. Large amount (~1/2 cup of slurry) of yeast so I didn't think it was a problem. Second, I tried the foil on the carboy for the first few days instead of the cap/airlock for the first time. Maybe I screwed this up? Come to think of it it lagged for just over a day.

This was the first jar of third gen. WLP300 so maybe I did something wrong when I washed it. I sure as hell hope not because I've done three strains since then so that would seriously suck. A starter with another jar will be on the agenda for this week for sure!

My first bad batch with 35 in my pocket and my ego is bruised a bit.

I would sanitize the crap outta it. probably bleach solution for anything not plastic (i hate how plastic absorb chlorine odor).
oxiclean is not a sanitizer, only a cleaner. clean first, sanitize second.

I can speak about a funked batch and having to clean it up. I hook up a bottle washer to the tap and get all the crud out of there with hot water then I just use the bottle/carboy brush respectively to clean it all out. I use Ivory or Seventh Generation dish soap and it does the job. I use Oxy Clean just for soaking parts or to remove those damned labels of the Amstel Light bottles

I recall reading that if washed yeast starts to resemble peanut butter in color then it is no good.

That reminds me that I have some Yeast washing to do tonight.

Yah, I've only used oxy thus far for de-labeling. Bleach it is! As far as the yeast goes it still looks good. The original vial was used a year ago and I washed the last jar from that batch this spring. I'm pretty sure it's from mis-handling of that yeast or from something I did wrong with the whole foil thing. A starter this week should help me nail it down, and hopefully get me started on another hefe-weizen for kayakin' season.

And don't worry Malkore, I intend to wage nuclear war on whatever skunked this batch!

Back