Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Poll: Beer Competition Ethics
View Poll Results: Is it ethical to submit a beer to a competition using someone else's recipe?
No, it is not ethical-- figure out your own recipe! 11 5.91%
Yes, it is ethical-- brewing is a performance, while the recipe is just the score. 139 74.73%
Meh-- you think too much. 36 19.35%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default Poll: Beer Competition Ethics

What are your thoughts about submitting a beer to a competition that was made using someone else's recipe?

For me, it doesn't seem right, but I'm interested in what others feel about this. I've never entered a competition before, so maybe I'm way off base here. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.

On Deck: Jamil's Vanilla Robust Porter
Fermenting: Orange Blossom Mead
Kegs: Element 56 Pale Ale, Ron's Belgian Blonde, Summer'n Saison, Furloughktoberfest '09, Grateful Pale Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout Clone, EdWort's Apfelwein
Planning: n/a
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not sure it's truly unethical, but I personally probably wouldn't do it. I'd like feedback on my OWN recipe, not just my ability to follow the script...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
I love making Beer
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We could all brew the same recipe and we would end up with very different beers.

When I brew a recipe, no matter where it came from, it is my unique beer because I used my water, methods, equipment, time, temperatures, etc.
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you used your own water and equipment and procedures then you have something that is uniquely yours. I rarely ever create a recipe exactly I find it since I usually substitute something, either way though it is your beer that you made.

Anyway I'd be proud to have someone brew my recipe and enter it into a competition. I'm sure most people here feel that way.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash
Old 06-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do we all honestly think that after CENTURIES of brewing that there really is a true UNIQUE brew that still exists? As has been stated, if you gave 5 people the same recipe, I dare say even the same ingredients you will get 5 different brews.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts

Yea, who cares. To submit a beer to a comp, you have to brew to style anyways. Honestly, how many different recipes are there for a Bavarian Hefeweizen?

McDole won the SA Longshot comp with a clone of Russian River's Pliny. Many people have won comps with recipes from Brewing Classic Styles. Brewing (and winning) is much less about the recipe than the process.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In my opinion, submitting a brew of someone else's recipe is fine; you wouldn't be penalised for entering someone else's recipe in a cooking competition would you? There's a lot of skill in brewing; it's easy to get something that's drinkable, but to get an excellent brew takes practice, fine tuning, and skill.
Homebrewing Forum
Brunken Dastard Brewery
Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde 4% APA
Kegerator: Henry's Haus Pale Ale 4.5% PA
Bottled: 'Wooly Jumper' 5.08%ABV Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: 'Weissbeater' 5.2%ABV Weiss
Bottled: 'Maypole' 4.5%ABV Dark Ale
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Liked 686 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I voted B......anyways, the only truly original recipes out there are for beers that have their own style outside of the guidelines. All others a just a variation on a theme.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Brewmasters Warehouse
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think that the process of making beer has more to do with the recipe that is used.

If the AB brewers gave everyone on HBT the exact 5 gallon recipe for Bud, and we all brewed it, very few people would have a beer that AB would actually call a Bud. That is due to the process and not the recipe.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Liked 2974 Times on 2900 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Brewing is a process.

I'd go even farther than kilted and say that 3 brewers following the same recipe, using the same ingredients - water, malt, yeast, hops - brewing side by side (somehow unaware they're all using the same recipe) then taking home and fermenting would produce 3 different beers.

Timing, temps (mash and ferment), carbonation (volumes and natty vs forced), Time (hop additions, mash, sparge), time on the yeast, techniques (fly/batch sparge, racking style, aeration) and equipment - from electronically controlled all stainless blingman to heatstick and buckets, crush of grain all change the final product.

It may speak to my Noobness as a brewer but there are two beers I've repeated - BM's centennial and LilSparky's Nut brown - both were subtlely different each time (I have no temp control set up yet which is probably a large part of it).

Hell, there's talk here of different years of commercial beer's special releases being vastly different year to year. If the pros produce a different process each time...

Crash is one hard-headed mofo.-Shecky
The one that road tests motorcycle safety gear.-Ace_Club
Oregon boys are genetically predisposed to annoy people for extended periods of time.-thataintchicken
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin