Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Timing and recipe reduction

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Timing and recipe reduction

A friend of mine approached me today about brewing a keg for NFL's opening sunday (September 10). I told him I had the ingredients on hand to do a pale and he said that would be perfect. I'm wondering, to keep body, flavor and hop profile in balance, how much fermentables I could cut out (if I need to cut out andy) to make sure it's done fermenting in the next three weeks, so I can keg it for the last few days. Right now I'm doing a mini/partial mash with 2lbs of 2-row american pale malt, 1lb. crystal malt and 1/2 lb toasted malted barley. In addition, I have 6lbs of pale dme.

Thoughts?

Thanks, as always.

BREW ON

Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Three weeks is plenty of time for all but and imperial or barleywine. Hit it with a good starter. I'd shoot for a OG under 1.050, more for faster conditioning than anything.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually do my starters 36 hours in advance. I used the DME amount my "stock" starter instructions called a "high-gravity" starter--1.5 cups in 1300 mL of water. I figure that will give me a plentiful amount of yeasties but it will most likely still be actively fermenting when I pitch, which I've read speeds up the initial onset of fermentation.

BREW ON

Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW, in case I didn't tell you earlier...the CoC Brown was a HUGE hit at the wedding...thanks again for the recipe!

I am curious about one thing, though...If I wanted to give it a more pronounced "nut" brown flavor, would I up the amount or add in victory and biscuit malts?

Thanks.

BREW ON