Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help! Need to chill wort!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Auspice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! Need to chill wort!

I just got my wort into the plastic fermenter and the temp is down to about 90 after filling it up to 5 gallons with cold filtered water. Any easy tips for chilling this quickly so I can pitch my yeast? I put the airlock and sealed the lid so it won't get contaminated. Hopefully I haven't screwed up yet. I've been a Nazi about sanitation so I really pray things are going to be alright.

Wow, I'm a little frazzled since I didn't want to screw anything up. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Runyanka
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

as long as you have your sanitized lid and airlock on, it should be okay till it cools, which could take up to an hour or more put some ice packs ontop of the lid and see if that helps, or rubber band them to the side.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Auspice
Recipes 

I should also note that I've already got the yeast in warm water; is it going to matter if it's in there for a few hours while the wort chills?

My buddies came over a little bit ago and put the frozen bratwurst into my sink to help me cool down the fermenter. xD

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Darkstashcrashes
Recipes 

Well its not good but it wont kill the yeast. Next time you should aim to pitch at the temp you want to ferment at. So unless your making a Belgium or a warmer fermenting beer i would try to wait.

Here is some good info http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Auspice
Recipes 

Yeah, I guess I got a little ahead of myself. When I had a few minutes left in the boil I got the yeast ready thinking that adding 3 gallons of cold tap water would bring it down the temperature I needed. Clearly, I was wrong.

Since I've had the yeast in the water for what will probably amount to an hour or two will I need to let the beer ferment longer before bottling?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Darkstashcrashes
Recipes 

Also what temp DID you pitch the yeast at exactly?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Auspice
Recipes 

I haven't pitched the yeast yet. I put it in a small tupperware container with about 70 degree water and sealed the lid.

Still attempting to cool my wort. :/

Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
womencantsail
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you have some sort of large storage container or a cooler that will fit your fermenter, fill it with water and ice and put your fermenter in there. I had a similar thought process as you did the other day on my first brew and this is what I did to remedy my problem so that I could pitch.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Darkstashcrashes
Recipes 

O i see your rehydrating.

Put the bucket in the sink and make an ice water bath.

I got an immersion chiller to cool my wort quicker. I haven't looked back.

Good luck everything will work out just fine.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
bdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fill a sink with icewater (or even cold water) and put the fermenter in there. Drain it once it gets warm and keep repeating until the temp is down. If you have 2 sinks side by side just keep alternating between the 2.