Amarillo Summit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiang

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
See below
Nice citrus aroma. A pleasant, up front flavor, of grapefruit and tangerine. Balanced malt flavor, with a slight bitterness. Nice, clean and crisp finish.

I have had a few people tell me that Summit hops don't work well in an IPA. I would have to disagree with that. They add a really nice flavor profile that you really don't expect in an IPA. It keeps your interest as you try to figure out what that extra hop flavor is. A very good compliment to amarillo and simcoe that seems to balance/round out the grapefruit/citrus flavors.

This placed 3rd in India Pale Ale(Cat.14) at the Homebrew at the Web competition with a score of 42.3.

Some overall impressions from the judges:

Judge 1--- "Well crafted beer. Unusual hop choice adds complex interest and appreciation. No off flavors or aromas. Very refreshing."

Judge 2--- "Very good beer. Great use of hops to really be the showcase and being able to punch the mouth without causing very fast fatigue."

Judge 3--- "Very quaffable IPA. Hop character is superb while avoiding being too bitter. Would benefit from more malt sweetness and body though."

Ingredients:
------------
9.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L (120.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Simcoe [11.9%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (25 min)
0.50 oz Summit [18.5%] (25 min)
0.50 oz Summit [18.5%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Summit [18.5%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Summit [18.5%] (1 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.9%] (1 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [11.9%] (1 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Summit [18.5%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
***(1.00 oz Simcoe [11.9%] (Dry Hop 7 days) – If you like )***

Mash at 150 for 90min.

Thanks a lot for what looks like an interesting recipe.
I've altered it to create a black IPA, and I'm excited to brew it hopefully sometime soon.
I dropped the crystal, added melanoidin and chocolate malts. Also changed up the hop schedule/quantities, but left the lineup the same. I'll be mashing at 152 for a little bit more body.
I'll check back in with recipe and eventually the results.

Good looking brew. I just ordered some bulk Magnum/Summit/Fuggles so I BeerSmithed it to swap out some hops and try to keep the IBU's same.

I'll post my results.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back