Brewing and Carbon Monoxide - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Brewing and Carbon Monoxide

Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
skyzo
Recipes 

Apr 2009
ID
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am making some balloon wine, which I guess just means that a balloon goes on top with holes poked through, and it acts sort of like an airlock. No air in, only out.
Now, my question is, my apartment is real small, and my bedroom is only 9X11 feet. I started up a new 3 gallon batch yesterday, and set it on my desk. I kinda forgot about it, and came home and after sitting in my room for about an hour, my eyes started to hurt and I had a real bad sore throat. I didnt think much about the wine, just thought I was coming down with the flu. I just thought this morning about the wine though, and some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is eye pain and sore throat. Is the wine actually giving off that much CO2?
Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Well actually....Co2 is carbon dioxide not monoxide so if you have something resembling carbon monoxide posioning, I would look for other sources, like a leaking gas line to your water heater or something....

Secondly, it is doubtful that 3 gallons of fermenting wine in a 9x11 space is going to generate enough carbon dioxide to push out all the oxygen in the room and give you any flu like symptoms...if it could anyway.

I'd take some vitamins, or something for you porrible cold and flu, and look for any C0 (not co2) leaks.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Riley454 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts

CO and CO2 are two totally different chemicals. Just like H20 (water) is not the same as H202 (peroxide). It sounds like you're getting a cold.

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Spring Valley, Ohio
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Not making fun of you man, but this thread made me laugh a lot thanks

Oh and Yooper great new pic