Allergic to grilled cheese sandwiches - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Allergic to grilled cheese sandwiches

Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Some poor sap can't get grilled cheese sandwiches at home, so he writes to some love columnist about it.

Allergic to "grilled cheese" - Love Letters - Relationships questions, advice and more

Q: I am a 30 Year old male. I have been dating a wonderful woman for 2.5 years. I would describe everything about her as perfect except for one thing. She absolutely refuses to [make me a grilled cheese sandwich.] Now I want to ask her to marry me, but the thought of going the rest of my life without receiving [grilled cheese sandwiches] is definitely a worry. I fear I may resent her eventually, or possibly feel the need to seek [grilled cheese sandwiches] out somewhere else when enough time has passed. It has already been 2.5+ years since I last experienced a [grilled cheese sandwich]. It is starting consume my thoughts. I don't know if this one thing is enough to be a deal-breaker. Everything else is perfect. I don't know what to do!

-- [Needing Grilled Cheese], Boston

A:
NGC, have you talked to this woman about why she’s so opposed to grilled cheese? Do her reasons seem valid and specific (past trauma, health issues, etc.)? Is there any room for negotiation? Has she always been opposed to grilled cheese or is it just specific to you?

You must tell her that the lack of grilled cheese is standing in the way of your commitment. I know it’s difficult to say – it sounds so petty and selfish -- but I’m here to tell you it’s a valid concern. You’ve probably heard this before, but disagreements about sex and money are usually what end relationships. If you’re resenting her now, fast forward 10 years. It will get worse.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome. Especially with tomatoes and fancy cheese, like Brie. But some people would rather eat them than make them. And some people are allergic to them and can’t go near them.

But you’re not allergic. You like them a lot. If your girlfriend can’t come up with a grilled-cheese compromise, yes, to quote the wise Liz Lemon, this may be a deal breaker, ladies. Is the rest of her perfect enough to balance the sexual incompatibility?

Readers? Am I wrong? Can one live without grilled cheese if it’s their favorite food? Should a 30-year-old have to make that sacrifice? Share your thoughts here. And remember -- be respectful, G-rated, and thoughtful. Not like I need to ask. You guys are pros.

-- Meredith

The comments to the answer are freakin hilarious!

I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich made for me in ages.

Reason: I suck at formatting~!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

In this day and age, a grilled cheese sandwich is EXPECTED in any marital household. If she's not willing to make one, the husband is perfectly justified in heading down to the local truck stop to see if he can get one from that waitress.

EDIT: I should day, too, that while grilled cheese is expected, a husband CANNOT expect his wife to make him a peanut butter-and-jelly. That takes a lot of convincing and, uh... the use of plenty of jelly.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3519 Times on 3330 Posts

Why does teh response not once mention to this guy to get off his ass and make himself a grille cheese sandwhich!!
I want a F'in grilled cheese now damnit.

Quote:
When this letter arrived in my Love Letters InBox, it was too risqué to post on Boston.com
Risque? WTF?

OH I get it now! So no, he should not make his own sandwhich!! But I would still love a grilled cheese! Haven't had one for a LONG time!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why does teh response not once mention to this guy to get off his ass and make himself a grille cheese sandwhich!!
I want a F'in grilled cheese now damnit.

[quote meredith]When this letter arrived in my Love Letters InBox, it was too risqué to post on Boston.com [\quote]
Risque? WTF?
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a metaphor....

I'd make myself a grilled cheese but I can't bend that far.....

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

Now, that's funny right there. I still think I need to drag this off to DRMM, though. I mean, it's going to go down (hill) pretty quickly.

Haha- I crack me up.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

If you can make YOURSELF a grilled cheese sandwich, you must have a much bigger curd than I!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Apr 2007
OH-IO
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's good stuff. The comments are great. Sure glad my lady makes a good grilled cheese.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 609 Times on 404 Posts

You cannot understate the importance of a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, a well made tuna fish sandwich must be offered in return.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

You know what this REALLY makes me jonese for?

A Fluffernutter.

EDIT: I could post to this thread all day!

People Like This 
Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Ever had a grilled cheese while sitting on the can? It takes a special gal to make one of those...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway