CiderBock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
3565377340_1f33e6acd3_o.jpg

Here's yet another variation of Apfelwein. Ed's base recipe lends itself so well to modifications and variations. I don't know where I'll ever stop with this...

CiderBock:

Makes 3 gallons (size to whatever you want to make)

Ingredients:

3 gallons of apple juice with no additives/preservatives
2 lbs of corn sugar
1 pkg Montrachet yeast
3/4 teaspoon Potassium Sorbate (after fermentation to prevent refermentation)

Backsweetening Ingredients:
5 12 oz cans of apple juice concentrate (save two empty cans)
1 12 oz can (used from above) of brown sugar
1 12 oz can (used from above) of pure molasses

Directions:

Clean and sanitize all equipment!

Mix 3 gallons of apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar thoroughly until all corn sugar is completely dissolved in your fermenter (I use a better bottle for cider). After mixing, I let this sit for about an hour. Take a gravity reading (my OG was 1.070.) Add montrachet yeast, put an airlock on the fermenter, and ferment for 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, add 3/4 teaspoon of potassium sorbate to the fermenter. This will neutralize the yeast so no additional fermentation will take place after you add the additional sweeteners. After adding the potassium sorbate, leave cider in the fermenter for at least 24 hours.

Take a gravity reading (my FG was 0.996 which gives an ABV of approximately 9.7% before adding sweeteners).

Transfer your cider to a bottling bucket.

Empty contents of 5 12 oz cans of frozen apple juice concentrate into a large bowl and set aside. Fill one of the empty 12 oz cans with pure molasses and dump into the bottling bucket. Fill another 12 oz can with brown sugar and dump into the bottling bucket. Stir the cider until the brown sugar and molasses are completely dissolved. This may take a few minutes. After completely dissolved, add the frozen (or thawed) apple juice concentrate and stir well.

Bottle and enjoy!

I estimate that the final ABV of this concoction is greater than 7.5%. I didn't bother to take the actual measurements for a true final content. I can, however, tell you that you should consume this very carefully. It's quite tasty and sweet and the alcohol will sneak up on you in a hurry...

It's not really any more intensive than regular apfelwein. You just add some sweeteners after the fermentation is completed. Since the fermentation is 8 weeks long and with the addition of potassium sorbate to neutralize the yeast, It's ready to drink after bottling. Just chill and serve...

I'm about two days away from bottling. I was thinking of putting half into 22oz, and half into 12oz, and I would like to carbonate the 120z. Any suggestions on carbonation. I don't want to just throw yeast in there as that would probably cause explosions. Maybe tablets?

Any idea what the final gravity is on this after it is sweetened. I am used to using only 2 12oz cans of concentrate to sweeten a 5gal batch. 5 cans plus sugar and molasses sounds very sweet.

if you are still checking this i have a few questions.

never did a cider before but tried this one.

OG of 1.068
3 weeks later i am at 1.010

i am wondering if i should still let it go the entire 8 weeks like you talk about or should i take another reading in a few weeks to see how close to 1.000 it is.

i am just wondering if 8 weeks is the key or i should base it on gravity

any help would be great

thanks in advance

I just started this one the other day, I'm excited to see how it turns out. My og was 1.066. I'm assuming you didn't use yeast nutrient since yours took 8 weeks to ferment, I decide to add 3 tsp to see if it would speed up the process a bit.

update for this recipe: I don't really know how you got the Montrachet yeast to work on this one, I read something recently that Montrachet yeast doesn't really work well with high sugar levels. I decided to re-pitch the yeast, this time I'm adding safcider yeast (Just started selling it at the brew store and I've heard good things about it) so I'll give another update here in about a week to see how it's doing

Back