Early retirement? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Early retirement?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Kass_Brauhaus

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Arvada, Colorado
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Rambling time:

I am a PhD student. I've been in university since 2002, and I'm getting damn sick of it. I'm looking for part time work to change it up a little, but no luck so far (merchant mariner).

Can I quit and go straight to retirement? Can somebody tell me about a job where I can putter in a garage or woodworking shop all day? I'd start a brewpub but 1. no capital, 2. they're a dime-a-dozen in Denver, 3. I'm not that good a brewer.

Ok, phew. I'm done.
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed...America/Denver

Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Kass_Brauhaus

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Arvada, Colorado
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not to be whiny or anything...I know I have a good job...

Just not what I want to be doing.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Longview, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had two jobs while I was in grad school (MSEE):

1) Lumber yard at the big orange box. I drove forklifts, used power tools, stacked wood, and helped folks with their construction projects. It was actually a lot of fun and the pay was better than any other retail I could find. The only downside was closing...you're there till midnight or later many nights which sucked when you had to be at school at 0700 for

2) Research/Teaching assistant. I taught freshman engineering labs and graded papers 5-10 hours per week. 15-20 hours per week I basically putteres about with DSP boards making them do fun stuff to work into lab assignments for a project my boss was heading up.

I didn't sleep much for a couple of years

Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass_Brauhaus View Post
Can somebody tell me about a job where I can putter in a garage or woodworking shop all day? I'd start a brewpub but 1. no capital
if you find a job like that, let me know! I've put in 35+ years and I'm ready for the same.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
bobjohnson77
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Wylie, TX

I feel your pain I would much rather be at home making/ Drinking beer or something else but If I do that then I have to give up lots of other things like the nice TV/ Cars/ House/ food... sadly no one will pay me enough to quit a good paying computer job with good benefits to be a homebody...but I if I find some one to do it I will se how many opneins the have!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd go batshat crazy if I didn't have a job. I've had several really bad bosses over the past couple of years working at different companies but I'd have to say that at even the worst of times it beat sitting at home with nothing to do. That 3 month lay off 2 years ago was enough for me.
In times like these, there are days when I really have to stop myself from bitchin' because so many people are out of work. I try to keep that in my head so I can consider myself lucky. Might as well get used to it anyway. I did the math the other night and I won't be able to retire (as it stands currently) until I'm 72.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I was put out on early retirement due to a performance of duty injury. It was fun for about 1 year . When I knew the names of the soap opera cast I knew I needed to go out and get back to work .

Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
jbford
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could you not get a MS now and quit school? Not nearly as easy to get a good job as with the Dr. tag but it sure beats a BS degree.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Kass_Brauhaus

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Arvada, Colorado
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, I'll finish. I'm too close to not. I know, I'm lucky to have a job and whatnot. Some days you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's depressing. I hate sitting in front of a computer.

I have my merchant mariner's credential, but can't find a job. C'est la vie.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Wilsonville, OR
Liked 2455 Times on 1714 Posts

what are you a phD in?

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting