Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do stouts take longer to bottle condition?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
krausenmustache
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do stouts take longer to bottle condition?

I like to make up a couple of 12oz bottles for tasting over the the course of each week after I bottle. After one week in bottles my IPA had a great head with plenty of carb. One week has now gone by with my oatmeal stout and there is virtually no head whatsoever, and only a slight carbonation. Is this normal?

-Wy1056 American ale for the IPA
-Wy1084 Irish Ale for the stout
-Corn sugar was used both times.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

All bottle conditioning is different, some are bubbly in a week or 2, some take 3 or 4. Temperature has a big influence on the speed also, make sure the bottles are in a place that is around 70 degrees.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
staffVAJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have brewed 6 consecutive batches of oatmeal stout and can tell you that it takes between 5 - 6 weeks to achieve full carbonation. That being said... ... it is my understanding (and yooper or others correct me if I am wrong on this) a TRUE stout is not intended to have as much carbonation as common commercial pilsners like Budweiser (I don't care what anyone says "Bud" is not a lager)

Any who for what it is worth at two to three weeks I gently flip or turn my bottles up-side down and back again. I find it hard to believe it helps speed things up but I do it anyway.

be patient. Are you doing an AG or partial mash????

Joe B. in Stafford, VA