Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First AG brew recipe help.....

Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
ohill1981
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default First AG brew recipe help.....

We'll i am going to be making my first All-Grain batch hopefully next week and i was looking to make an American Wheat style beer but give it a subtle orange flavor. I have read that using extract fruit flavors is the easiest method,but i do not like the idea of extracts and would much rather get the orange flavor naturally from the fruit it self. Can someone tell me how i would go about getting the desired orange flavor i am looking for... I have never used fruit before and it is all new to me! I understand you add it to the secondary similar to dry hopping, but still confused on how much and when using oranges do you only use the peel? how do i wash and crush up an orange.... My Base recipe is going to be this..

5lbs. pale 2-row malt
2lbs wheat malt
1.oz Casacade whole leaf

and is 10 lbs or oranges too much or not enough ?

On Deck: Undecided
Fermenting: Noche Buena....
Fermenting:
Secondary..... (Dog Fish Head 60min Clone)
Conditioning: .Akka Lakka Pale Ale ....
Drinking....... Anything!.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
danielinva
Recipes 

10 pounds sounds like way too many oranges, but then again I've never brewed with them before. If you're just wanting a citrus taste to it, use coriander. If you really think you want the oranges in there you could try looking off of this

Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Whut
Mmmm, beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1739 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 8719

BM has a recipe on here where you add the Orange zest to the boil. Here's the link to that thread.

I brewed the Blood Orange Hefeweizen that danielinva linked above and have it on tap now. Not bad and will tap BM’s Wit as soon as this is done.

May Whut see him safely through the Pearly Gates half an hour before Crash knows he's dead. - hunter_la5

it's certainly possible I am mistaken - Randar

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
danielinva
Recipes 

Surprisingly, none of the citrus notes come from the zest, so don't forget the coriander if you go that route.