Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malt Aroma / Sweetness in pale ales
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Malt Aroma / Sweetness in pale ales

Does anyone have a trick to getting a very pronounced malt flavor and aroma in a pale ale or blonde? Examples of what I'm talking about are Firestone-Walker's Union Jack IPA and Pale 31. Another that I noticed was Indian Wells Brewing Co's Mojave Gold (even though I'm not a fan of that beer).

All of these beers seem to have a very pronounced sweetness and grainy flavor that I can't seem to replicate. If nobody has a way that they are able to replicate it, at least let me know that you notice it to so I can know I'm not crazy!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

There are a couple of ways to get a pronounced maltiness. One is technique - decoction - the other is inclusion of specialty grains like Melanoidin, Aromatic or a relatively high proportion of Munich or Vienna malts.

I've never had any of those beers, and I know nothing about them, so I can't speak specifically to what they might include.

Firestone-Walker's website says the grist consists of Two-Row, Munich, CaraPils, and Simpson’s Light Crystal. According to the website, these are the parameters:
  • Alcohol By Volume- 7.5%
  • Color - 8L (Pale)
  • IBU- 72 (High)
Hopefully this helps!

Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

In addition to those mentioned above, Honey malt too.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate
Old 06-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Look under the recliner
Liked 199 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Don't forget the yeast strain! Just like certain yeast strains emphasize hops (or not), the same is true for maltiness. I've got as tube of White labs Pacific Ale that I'm itching to try as it is supposed to promote malty flavors.

A popular ale yeast from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast will clear from the beer well, and leave a malty profile. More fruity than WLP002, English Ale Yeast. Good yeast for English style ales including milds, bitters, IPA, porters, and English style stouts.
If you are looking for sweetness I recommend White labs Saison II (WLP566). For an upcoming IPA, I'm going to divide it 4:1 into carboys and ferment the 1 gal with WLP566, and then blend in the keg with the ofther 4 that had the regular yeast. I might also use it straight up for a Belgian pale ale. I used this yeast for a BIG "saison" (10% ABV). This beer fermented down to 1.008, but still tastes fairly sweet - even when clear. If I swirl the keg to suspend the little bit of yeast, then it tastes even sweeter. This beer scored a 33 in a recent competition and it got dinged for not having enough attenuation. I entered it as a Belgian Golden Strong and they said it was too sweet even though it was near the bottom of the BJCP FG range guidlines (1.006 - 1.016). The yeast fooled the judges. I just sent it out again, but this time as a triple. We'll see how it does.
On Tap: Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Maibock,
Kegged and Aging/Lagering:CAP, CAP II, Wheat lager, Imperial Pilsner, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), light beer - yes, light beer, Belgian IPA, IPA,
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition