Oaked Apfel - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Oaked Apfel

Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone aged a little Apfelwein on oak? I have some medium toast French chips sitting on my desk that seems to want to do some work.

Would I
A) Soak in Bourbon or vodka then rinse with sterile water and rack
B) Boil and rack

I'm thinking maybe just a 1/4-1/2 oz for a 1 gal sample. tasting as it goes.

Does this sound like I'm crazy? I just tried some oaked arrogant bastard and went online and ordered some oak to experiment with.

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Durango, Colorado
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have wanted to oak some Apfelwein, let us know how it turns out. The vanilla and other oak flavors should blend nicely with the Apfelwein.

I'd steam/boil the oak or vodka it for a nuetral oak favor. Then again I guess Bourbon is oak flavored.

Oaked Bastard will be the next beer I make, it is so good.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I figure ill do it with the vodka soked chips after my current batch of Apfel has cleared. Maybe 1 or 2 more weeks.

And I 2 am planning on a Oaked bastard clone in the future

Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

May 2008
Oakland, California
Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts

I say don't soak in burbon, soak it in some apple brandy or caladavos.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So after much thought I went with 1\2 oz oak on a gallon of clear apfelwein. I also kicked up a little slurry into the secondary just Incase. Now ill let it sit and taste weekly. Fun fun

Blucyzer, Cyzer.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dbl sorry

Blucyzer, Cyzer.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1st impression: after 1 week the oak takes away the harsh alc flavor of young apfel. After 2 weeks i think this is the perfect flavor. the oak has more of a fragrance then too much of an oakie taste. I think I'm going to bottle after another week. they say the oak lesions over time so by the time the apfel is ready this should be great. another bonus is the is gives the wine a deeper bronze color then just the apple juice.
now just waiting for the carb drops to come in so i can make 1/2 sparkle.

Blucyzer, Cyzer.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
Notnice
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update:
After 10 days in the bottle I tried one of the carbed ones to Check the level of carb using 1 coopers carb tab. And i love it, I think as a variation everyone should do an oked batch. I plan to at leas every other regular Apfelwein batch will be siphoned off to a 1 gal or full 5 gal secondary for some oak.

Blucyzer, Cyzer.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
phished880
Recipes 

Apr 2009
JP/Boston
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

sound's great. the to-do list just got longer

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
Texron
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Houston, Texas

I have a batch cooking right now. After it clears I think I'll give this a try. Its a five gallon batch-what would you recommend? 2 1/2 TO 3 ounces of French Oak? Toasted or not?