Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Will Windows 7 just be a stripped down, final version of Vista?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5864 Times on 5099 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Will Windows 7 just be a stripped down, final version of Vista?

Looking at the features and reading some threads about it it looks that way to me. Seems MS has stripped it down to speed it up, forcing featuires out to lIve services or as standalone products. And they've glitzed up some of the core areas (ex: device manager).

Anyone using the RC and Vista that finds signifigant improvements over Vista's resource handling and stability to justify a potential $100 to $300 upgrade?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have an office mate that's a beta tester for MS products (not sure how he weaseled into that gig) and he is much more impressed with Win7 than Vista. When he was testing Vista I kept telling him that it was never planned to be a long term OS and that it was going to be a transitional one (a la ME). He has pretty much confirmed that now that he's tinkering with Win7. It's a lot less of a resources whore and will be (probably) better supported by MS than XP was.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5864 Times on 5099 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I have read that Vista is just an upped rel version of ME and that W7 is essentially that too (a new rel ver to Vista) but, MS may opt to release it as a complete OS for the cash cow potential when it's really just a major upgrade (not a complete re-work).

Old 06-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have read that Vista is just an upped rel version of ME and that W7 is essentially that too (a new rel ver to Vista) but, MS may opt to release it as a complete OS for the cash cow potential when it's really just a major upgrade (not a complete re-work).
I guess we won't really know until the decision is made. All I can tell you is that with W7 you don't have to have an insane amount of RAM to successfully run the OS (as opposed to Vista). His machine is currently running at 4GB with a quad processor and 768 graphics card and my relic desktop at home can run XP about as efficiently as his geeked out laptop running Vista. You can take my XP from me when you pry it out of my cold dead hands. And you can never take away my RedHat enterprise!!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been running Win7 beta since it was released and it is way better than Vista ever hoped to be. In the past I removed vista from my machines and ran XP Pro, but put the W7 beata on my laptop and netbook and its the schiznit

Old 06-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5379 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 223

I have the same experience as purechaos. Win7 is leaps and bounds ahead of Vista. Sure, it might use some of the same core look and feel as Vista, but from an operational standpoint it's like a totally new OS. I've been running some betas and now the RC and have also finally pulled the plug on all my dual booting XP and 2000 partitions and run Win7 exclusively.

To this day I still can't get Vista to work properly on my primary desktop, yet Win7 installed in about 15 minutes on the same machine, found every single driver, and hasn't crashed once.

I'm usually quick to put blame on Microsoft but for once I think they've actually done something right.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post

I'm usually quick to put blame on Microsoft but for once I think they've actually done something right.
For now....

Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
phreephly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
Have an office mate that's a beta tester for MS products (not sure how he weaseled into that gig) and he is much more impressed with Win7 than Vista. When he was testing Vista I kept telling him that it was never planned to be a long term OS and that it was going to be a transitional one (a la ME). He has pretty much confirmed that now that he's tinkering with Win7. It's a lot less of a resources whore and will be (probably) better supported by MS than XP was.
I also get to beta test many MS products. I am currently running the Windows 7 RC. I like it very much. I was a very happy Vista user, also. I never understood the issues with Vista. Unfortunately, Vista was not completely what MS wanted. I had a chance to play with some of the very early "Longhorn" pre-betas. Longhorn was going to be the followup to XP. It was going to be a interim release to prepare for "Blackcomb" (These are all codenames that MS came up with). Blackcomb was going to be a major upgrade to the NT family of operating systems.

Longhorn was focused on the interface and on the file systems. Some of the early interface concepts were awesome, but required significant graphics power. WinFS was going to be a file system merged with a relational database. Also a very cool concept but resource hungry. During the development of Longhorn, MS had to suffer the outbreaks of major malware hits. MS made the decision to scrap all of the work done on Longhorn and reset to the XP kernel version 5.2 (this was Windows Server 2003 R2).

This reset essentially moved development back 2-3 years. MS instituted a model for developing safer code and basically made security the cornerstone of OS development. They didn't have much of a choice as 97% of the world runs their OS. I think they rushed things a bit and the initial release of Vista was not as high a quality as it should have been. Also, because it had been so long since a MS OS release, many OEMs, i.e. Dell and HP, tried to put Vista on everything they sold. Vista had highter hardware requirements than XP, but many of these OEMs tried to showhorn it onto sub-par systems. Also, many hardware vendors were put of practice writing drivers and they really dropped the ball on getting drivers out for hardware. MS made that task a bit more difficult, because they forced vendors to write drivers for both 32-bit and 64-bit OS's. The only way to get a MS-certified driver was to have both a 32 and 64-bit version.

I think Windows 7 takes the Vista core and tightens up the code. The removal of mail and such is an unfortunate side effect of the European Union sanctioning MS for the monopolist practices. I think it's actuaslly good, because now Windows Live Mail is a separate product and can be updated on a different schedule than the OS. I also like it much better than Windows mail or Outlook Express.

Vista drivers work in Windows 7 for the mmost part, so Win 7 won't have any issues with missing drivers. Also, the current hardware available which also runs Vista well, will not be lacking in Win 7. 2 or 4 GB RAM is common now, and most video is DirectX 10 capable.

I have one machine that I'll keep as a Vista machine, I see know reason to update it and I don't use it very often, but I will be updating my laptop to Win 7 when it comes out (October 22 for the general public). Hopefully I'll have the RTM build well before the Public release date.

PhreePhly

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Will Windows 7 just be a stripped down, final version of Vista?
According to Balmer, yeah thats basically what it will be.

This part not according to Balmer, rather according to me. Windows 7 is basically just going to be Vista with compliance for European Union anti-trust settlements built in. Basically its Vista Service pack including EU anti-trust compliance.

That, and its a rebranding to get away from the failed "vista" brand that nobody seems to want any part of.

There is not a lot of Windows 7 thats actually new - the API is the same. The .NET Framework is the same.

As far as using it on a desktop machine, there isn't any appreciable difference in Windows 7 and Vista.

If you really wanted to split hairs about the difference though, Windows 7 has a lot more in common with Windows Server 2008 than it does with Vista.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All I know is these crappy operating systems are really helping out my Apple stock :-)