plastic gas in dip tube - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > plastic gas in dip tube

Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
killian
Recipes 

Apr 2007
western/central new york
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I bought a 5 kegs a while ago from some one (a retailer) I found posting on this site and three of the kegs I received have plastic gas in dip tubes. I haven't been able to find replacements for these. I wondering if I should try to drill these out so a standard dip tube will work. Needless to say I feel like I got screwed by this retailer. Anyone know where to find the replacement parts for these?

If you are going to purchase used kegs make sure you know what you are ordering.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Chester, VA
Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

I think a few of my kegs have plastic gas in dip tubes. Are yours broken, or do you just dislike them?

I was unaware that they were a different size than metal dip tubes, but if your plastic ones are broken, then the usual suspects should have replacement plastic ones.

I'll check and post back...

EDIT: I see numerous sites that offer replacement stainless dip tubes for the gas in, but not any plastic ones...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I had several kegs with plastic in dip tubes also. I did buy some on-line, but it was so long ago that I have now forgotton where.
If you are worried about cleaning and sanatizing them, then replace them for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it now. The only reason I replaced one of mine was that it was deformed and I was worried about pressure loss.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Amiaji

Recipes 

May 2008
Denver, NC
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a couple kegs with plastic gas-in tubes also. One of them is messed up and that keg wont seal. I havnt found any for sale anywhere either. I may try drilling one out and see if it works.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
killian
Recipes 

Apr 2007
western/central new york

[QUOTE=Amiaji;1360114]I have a couple kegs with plastic gas-in tubes also. One of them is messed up and that keg wont seal. I havnt found any for sale anywhere either. I may try drilling one out and see if it works.[/Q

drilling is the way I'm leaning right now. All three dip tubes are deformed I have 1 that will hold pressure as is and one that is sort of frankensteined to make it work but it is not the best set up.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
iceman80403
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I bought my first 2 kegs from NB and one was a firestone with a deformed plastic gas dip tube that was smaller in diameter than "regular" ones. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find replacement ones so I dremeled the hole in the keg out and put a metal dip tube in. It was a bit of a PITA and used up 4 bits, but it worked.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
killian
Recipes 

Apr 2007
western/central new york

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman80403 View Post
I bought my first 2 kegs from NB and one was a firestone with a deformed plastic gas dip tube that was smaller in diameter than "regular" ones. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find replacement ones so I dremeled the hole in the keg out and put a metal dip tube in. It was a bit of a PITA and used up 4 bits, but it worked.
yea thats my issue and I'm sure its gonna be a pain but I'm thinking that it's gotta be more of a pain having a keg that will not work. thanks for the in put.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
killian
Recipes 

Apr 2007
western/central new york

so what kind of drill bit should I use?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
iceman80403
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The bit I used that worked the best was the 194 High Speed Cutter. It may not be the best bit for the job, but I had it on hand. I also used some aluminum oxide grinding stones, but they broke very easily.

All bits also made terrible noise while grinding so I'd recommend filling the keg with water or wearing ear protection if your neighbors don't mind. Of course you should also wear eye and mouth protection -- cancer cells love particulate heavy metals in your lungs!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
killian
Recipes 

Apr 2007
western/central new york

I found another option cutting a standard dip tube down to 1/4 to 1/2". The thought never crossed my mind but I might give that a shot.