Grain mill questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
Looking to buy a grain mill. Narrowed down my choice to a Barley Crusher becasue it got good reviews from friends that ahev used it, and it was adjustable see info here - NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Mills.

I did a little digging and ended up finding a CrankAndStein Double Roller Mill - complete with hopper assembly and base plate for a little less $$$ see photo here - Complete 2A Grain Mill with hopper (no handle): www.kegkits.com

What does everyone think?? Barley Crusher or CrankandStein? Both have the hopper included. The hopper on the Crank seems a bit more heavy duty. Both are fully adjustable.

Crank come in with shipping at $145.66, Crusher comes in at $154.98 with shipping. I personally have not used either one, but again got good reviews on the crusher from a friend. Help me make up my mind.

Well, I've never used either, but I just purchased a Barley Crusher after reading all sorts of reviews and advice, mostly here on HBT. I like that it is a complete setup (minus bucket, which I have) gets good reviews, and is reasonably priced. Bought it direct from barleycrusher.com.

Just my two cents.

-Steve

I'd give my endorsement to the Barley Crusher, but i'v never used the crankandstein. I have,however,been crushing hundreds of pounds of grain a week for the past 6 months with a Barley Crusher and have not had one problem with it.

In December, I bought the barley crusher with 7# hopper, and I really like it. It was about $125, plus shipping (NB has flat rate shipping, so I bought a ton of other stuff at the same time) and it's worked great for me so far. I haven't tried the crankandstein, though.

here's a barley crusher for $132.00, shipped.

Compared to taking a runner from Tom at kegkits, I'd bet Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse would have it to you in less than a week. Plus, Ed is a known figure on these boards with a quality reputation.

here's a barley crusher for $132.00, shipped.

Compared to taking a runner from Tom at kegkits, I'd bet Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse would have it to you in less than a week. Plus, Ed is a known figure on these boards with a quality reputation.

Ordered mine from Brewmaster's on Friday and it will be here tomorrow!

Looking to buy a grain mill. Narrowed down my choice to a Barley Crusher becasue it got good reviews from friends that ahev used it, and it was adjustable see info here - NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Mills.

I did a little digging and ended up finding a CrankAndStein Double Roller Mill - complete with hopper assembly and base plate for a little less $$$ see photo here - Complete 2A Grain Mill with hopper (no handle): www.kegkits.com

What does everyone think?? Barley Crusher or CrankandStein? Both have the hopper included. The hopper on the Crank seems a bit more heavy duty. Both are fully adjustable.

Crank come in with shipping at $145.66, Crusher comes in at $154.98 with shipping. I personally have not used either one, but again got good reviews on the crusher from a friend. Help me make up my mind.

Don't get all sold on a unit because it has a hopper, save your money and make your own plus use that saved money on the upgrade mill itself it's the most important piece of equipment in this investment.
I went the other way and purchased a Monster Mill MM3-2.0, larger 2" rollers by 6" long with three rollers. Some bad blood between the Monster Mill and the birth of the CrankenStien unit, well the same but one I see is available and the other not in the past when I was looking for a mill. Granted it will need a tuneup to operate correctly and have a longer life span with this 3roller model mill. JMO's. after seeing many HBS that had discontinued had me worried over the other identical brand delivered 3 days later including a 1/2" input shaft without flats special ordered. Questions answered from the manufacture within two hours many times. Customer service says a lot about a product. I'm not motorized yet due to medical reasons but will not be disappointed when i'm ready that I can see.

Thanks for all the replies and links. I think I will pass on ordering from kegkits after seeing the thread provided. I am going with the barley crusher at this point. Great reviews and good customer service.

Back