Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > My first Berliner

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #41
Piotr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, my Berliner is ready fo bottling, the souring process was suprisingly long - 6 months!; but eventually it is sour enough to pass as Berliner Weisse.

I have a question about further processing - does the Lactobaccilus flocculate and leave some kind of "yeast cake" that I can reuse for souring another batch of beer (like Oud Bruin for instance) ?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #42
Piotr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
I have a question about further processing - does the Lactobaccilus flocculate and leave some kind of "yeast cake" that I can reuse for souring another batch of beer (like Oud Bruin for instance) ?
Nobody answered, so I had to do my own experiment. I collected some slurry from Berliner Weisse secondary vessel, and I added it to small portion of hopped wort (~25 IBU). The yeast started working and fermented the wort, but it was not sour at all, probably lacto can't stand this much IBUs. So I dind'n use it in my Oud Bruin, I pitched WLP Belgian Sour Mix I instead.

However, I made another batch of Berliner Weisse and I pitched this lacto-infected slurry. It works like charm, the pellicle formed right away, the fermentor smells like yoghurt, I hope this time I will get better (more sour) results.