Permission - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Permission

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
phillc

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just have to get it off my chest.

<RANT>
Every time I open a post that starts with "My wife (SWMBO, GF, etc.) gave me permission to..." a little bit of me dies inside. I have to admit, I actually get a little angry. Then it subsides and I just feel sorry for the opener of the post. I know that some of it is in jest, but some of these guys are serious!

Really? Permission? Are you under the age of 18 and where you pushed from betwixt her loins? Otherwise I find it inexcusable. A relationship is a partnership, not a dictatorship. Like a teeter-totter that wobbles every now and then, but always settles back at horizontal.

For those in a stable relationship who just say it for fun, please ignore (even knowing that I will still become red-faced when I read it!). For those who are serious: Grow a set. I have seen similar behavior in people I know, too, when the significant other goes off like a bomb in their face for no good reason and they just sit there and take it. Unacceptable behavior. I would take that for about 3 seconds before delivering a fervent "f!#k off".

I think that I will raise a beer tonight to those fallen and castrated comrades. Did it hurt when she took your balls, or did it happen so gradually that you didn't even notice they were gone?

Disclaimer: Although I am not married, I have been in a committed monogamous relationship to the same girl for over 7 years. Just so you know where I stand...

Now that this is all typed up, I realize that it is none of my business and it isn't my place to speak up. Oh, what the hell... Clicks Submit New Thread...

</RANT>

Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I think sometimes the "permission" thing is more to invoke a common bond between men.

I mean seriously, I know guys who have to ask permission to buy brewing ingredients and have to hid beer purchases from the SWMBO (yep, might be missing a pair).

On the same note, if you go out and buy $300 worth of new equipment and that $300 might have an impact on your budget, then you might want to get "permission". Which might not be the SWMBO actually saying yes, you have my permission, but more along the lines of "yeah baby, we can't afford that this payday, or go ahead and do it, now is a good time."

My SWMBO gave me permission to answer this thread.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Tonedef131

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 31 Times on 16 Posts

In many situations joint finances = joint decision when it comes to spending.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
In many situations joint finances = joint decision when it comes to spending.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but with more words.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
SmugMug
Recipes 

May 2009
Alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Speaking as one of those men you seem to detest, I think that it was a bad move on my part to submit a post that related to this topic. I figured there were others here who had similar experiences and it was meant to be nothing more than a vent to peers about my frustration. BUT there were a LOT of really bad knee-jerk reactions brimming with hate and detestation over something that had nothing to do with them. A little over-reactive methinks, especially when you're implying or assuming specific details to a relatively small thread. I won't be making that mistake again, but seriously, some people in here really need to take a moment and think about what they're typing. I suspect a lot of it is coming from personal experience and is being projected at the OP. But that's nothing more than a hunch. I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
phillc

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I think sometimes the "permission" thing is more to invoke a common bond between men.

I mean seriously, I know guys who have to ask permission to buy brewing ingredients and have to hid beer purchases from the SWMBO (yep, might be missing a pair).

On the same note, if you go out and buy $300 worth of new equipment and that $300 might have an impact on your budget, then you might want to get "permission". Which might not be the SWMBO actually saying yes, you have my permission, but more along the lines of "yeah baby, we can't afford that this payday, or go ahead and do it, now is a good time."

My SWMBO gave me permission to answer this thread.
Agreed. I tried to make that understanding apparent. I hope I did...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

I really advocate having a budget, and making sure to give yourself some spending money in that budget. That way you or her can spend that little bit on whatever you want, but the rest is allocated for bills/savings/expenses.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
phillc

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
Speaking as one of those men you seem to detest, I think that it was a bad move on my part to submit a post that related to this topic. I figured there were others here who had similar experiences and it was meant to be nothing more than a vent to peers about my frustration. BUT there were a LOT of really bad knee-jerk reactions brimming with hate and detestation over something that had nothing to do with them. A little over-reactive methinks, especially when you're implying or assuming specific details to a relatively small thread. I won't be making that mistake again, but seriously, some people in here really need to take a moment and think about what they're typing. I suspect a lot of it is coming from personal experience and is being projected at the OP. But that's nothing more than a hunch. I could be wrong. It's happened before.
I don't detest you! Don't even know you! If you in a situation like I described, but are happy, then kudos. If you are unhappy, then... well... not much more to be said!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
phillc

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I really advocate having a budget, and making sure to give yourself some spending money in that budget. That way you or her can spend that little bit on whatever you want, but the rest is allocated for bills/savings/expenses.
A surefire plan for success! Pay the bills, save for the future, and set aside a balanced amount of discretionary money.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
TwoHeadsBrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chico, CA
Liked 39 Times on 36 Posts

I think "permission" just means "agreement" for most guys. Like it was stated before, any big purchases should be approved by the budget committe unless the guy makes all the money in the household.

Here's how my budget meeting goes:

Me: Ok, I "need" to get some homebrew stuff
SWMBO: Oh yeah, what are you getting?
Me: Stocking up on some hops, another tap for the kegerator,and a CO2 manifold.
SWMBO: How much is that going to cost?
Me: Less than $150
SWMBO: Do we have the money?
Me: Yep, just did the budget and we've got plenty of misc.
SWMBO: Ok, I want to get some stuff for the yard and an outdoor rug.
Me: Ok, keep it under $200.

DONE and DONE!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff