Any pointers on my wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
My brother and I are brewing a Wheat this weekend and here is the recipe.

Any tips or hints apprecieated!

2# wheat malt
1# German Pils malt

Soak Grains for 20 min at 150 Raise temp to 160 for 30

Take out of bags and rinse in collander with 170 water

3# John Bull wheat LME
3# Muntons Wheat DME

Boil wort for 60 min

Tettnanger .5oz for 60 min
Hallertauer .5oz for 20 min
Hallertauer .5 oz for 5 min

Pitch WYEAST 3068

Thanks

Reverend

all these views and nothing?

I just need one of the experts to comment on it. Is there anything i should change? What is the proper hop IBU for this beer? right now i think according to promash it is about 15. Is that to high for a wheat?

I'm no expert but I'll certainly comment!

That's a fairly solid recipe. The mashing steps are good, you've included a beta & alpha rest which is fine.

15 is a good number of IBU's for a wheat. You may get slightly lower if you're doing a partial boil (2 - 3 gallons). That's no bad thing though, you don't want to detect the bitterness in this style. What's the AA% of your Tettnang?

I would personally ditch the 5 min aroma hops but thats entirely up to you.

My weizen for SWMBO is still in the primary. I should have dropped the aroma hops on my recipe...they are just not needed for the yeast-type and may get in the way of the aromas of that yeast.

Yeah like Exo said, you don't want to be smelling hops in this style. Hops are great in an IPA or an APA but in a weizen it's all about the yeast.

One other thing, watch your fermentation temperature, especially in summer. Much above 20C and you'll be getting some undesirable esters.

Your Tets are at 4.3, but you didn't say anything about the Hallertau's.

Are these pellets or whole flowers?

And, how much water will you be boiling? I'm assuming 2 since you're steeping.

Answer these and I'll get back to you...:D, but in case I don't/can't, if your HTs are under 4% then I would add all the hops at the boil.

I would skip the grains, don't feel it would make or break the recipe. Easy enough of a style to brew with nothing more than extract. I love Hallertaur for a finishing hop in all my German brews. 3068 just seems to overpower my attempts at doing so. I may have to switch weizen yeasts to accomplish this.

My Hallertauer AA is 4.1 Both are pellets. After looking at alot of recipes I would agree that i can drop the aroma hops. I do have to disagree with not usnig the grain. Even though i am not fully mashing, i am still imparting some of the flavors and giving my brews a complexity that they can not achieve on extract alone.

mysterio said:
I'm going to disagree and say keep the wheat malt and pils malt. Extra fermentables if nothing else.
Agreed. If you drop any of these you'll have to use fewer hops. Your HW will end up more bitter than expected.

If you use only 6# of malt you only need the 1 oz of Tets.;)

Back