Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > how i cut my keggles

Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
monty73741
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default how i cut my keggles

i have had kegs for about 6 months now. I looked into renting a plasma cutter, then getting a welder to cut them.

the rental company was full of crap, their web site said one price but when i stopped by it was 150% more expensive. the guy gave me some crap that about the web site cant guarentee the price. so i called shanagons on him & left

then i found a welder on craigs list & our schedules didnt work out,

I then tried the gig for the grinder & it didnt work out for me.

I just lopped off the top.

I know, what about the handles, went to home depot got me 3 handles for 2.65 a piece screwed em one i can pick it up now.

i also got a piece of aluminiun 18 x 24 & cut two 16 inch circles, made 1 inch fins in it banged em down around the keg & i had a lid, i screwed on the handle & was finished

I'll have pics tomorrow since unbunto doesnt work well with windows mobile

Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i tried to use a grinder but went through 2 wheels, so a friend of mine who is a sheet metal guy put a saws all on it and finished it off. He they buffed all the cuts and cleaned it up real nice for me :-)

glad you found a method that worked for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Both of you guys should have watched Bobby M's video:

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i tried bobby's method, but it didnt go so well as my wheels wore down they changed the diameter of the of the hole. i made my jig on the fly and later realized why this was happening (i needed to adjust for the height deviation from rim and pivot point)

i layed out the circle and my keggle came to looking great so i a mhappy with the results.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ill be honest i cut mine this weekend with a dremel tool. took about 30-45 min but only used 2 wheels. Wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
krausenmustache
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

so what are you guys using for lids?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
mnadamn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went to a restaurant supply store and found a stock pot lid which fits perfectly for $3

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

i did see the vid & made a similar jig, but since their were no real plans for it, i dont think i made it right, I banged out a lid by cutting a Piece of ALu & then just banging the edges down

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've cut a couple of kegs and the angle grinder is really the way to go, unless you have a lathe or plasma cutter.

I didn't use a jig, so you just need to go slow. I found it worked a lot better if I made several passes. Once you've gone around once, and have a shallow groove, it's easy to keep it aligned. I found that if I tried cutting all the way through (where part of the cuttingwheel was above the keg and partly inside) it made the metal extremely hot and wore through the wheels a lot quicker. If you make a few passes, it works alot better.

I didn't watch Bobby's video, but if didn't mention it, it helps to put 4-5 gallons of water in the keg. It makes clean up easier and helps to deaden the ear-splitting noise.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
DarkSide
Recipes 

I just did my 2 kegs last week. I watched Bobby's video beforehand and also found this page on BrewWiki:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Keggle#Hole_Cutting

It had a good article on keggles in general and a good picture of Bobby's Jig that I was able to copy perfectly.

I used a metal cutting wheel and used 1 wheel per keg. No word of a lie, I did both kegs just like Bobby in under 15 minutes. You just need to keep a constant pressure on the grinder and move it evenly around the top.

Of course I didn't realize there would be so much smoke from grinding. I was prepared for the sparks, but needed to open up my garage door to ventilate the smoke better. Also, if you are going this, make sure you have pants and a long sleeve shirt on. I had pants but only a tshirt. The sparks don't burn, but they can be a distraction when hitting bare arms and hands.