Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "designing great beers", second edition?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
mikfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default "designing great beers", second edition?

I own and frequently read "Designing Great Beers". I consider this one of my best resources when I want to write my own recipe.

Is there a second edition? DGB covers some styles I like, the pale ales and IPAs, and then spends a lot of time on styles I don't brew. I am looking for another reference source, written in a similar vein that covers the other styles I like to brew like iras, american ambers, etc.

I don't want just a book of recipes -- I can get all the recipes I want from HBT. I am really looking for something to help me understand what goes into brewing a particular style.

Is "Brewing Classic Styles" a good follow on?

Thanks,
Mik

Old 05-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
I own and frequently read "Designing Great Beers". I consider this one of my best resources when I want to write my own recipe.

Is there a second edition? DGB covers some styles I like, the pale ales and IPAs, and then spends a lot of time on styles I don't brew. I am looking for another reference source, written in a similar vein that covers the other styles I like to brew like iras, american ambers, etc.

I don't want just a book of recipes -- I can get all the recipes I want from HBT. I am really looking for something to help me understand what goes into brewing a particular style.

Is "Brewing Classic Styles" a good follow on?

Thanks,
Mik

+1 Good recource book. I still do quick recipes using the algebraic equations in this text, before plugging into brew calculators. The old school long hand versions come very close to what the on-line calculators are getting. If it weren't for hop utilization, I'd skip the calculators on most of my recipes, as I don't mind the simple math. I do agree and would like another text written in this format to extend to different styles.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I love both books. Desigining Great Beers gives you the background to be able to brew just about everything once you understand the first part. The second part, where he examines the particular styles, is the best part of the book, agreed. It's unfortunate he doesn't delve into every style in the BJCP, but since he covers most of the major ones, you're gonna be able to extrapolate into whatever isn't covered.

Brewing Classic Styles (BCS) is also good, I really like that it covers all of the 80 substyles in the BJCP. It doesn't give the entire background of each style like DGB does, because it's primarily a recipe book. And though the main recipe in each chapter is for extract brewers, he has an AG option included for each recipe. The other thing is that Jamil has strong opinions on some of the styles, and it comes out. For example, in the chapter on Classic Rauchbier, he says twice, "Do not use peat smoked malt under any circumstances." I just find that funny.

Finally, BCS cites DGB as a resource in the opening introduction. They're very complimentary books.

I assume you're familiar with the "Classic Beer Styles Series" that covers 10 of the particular styles in-depth?
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA