Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Never Use Pbw Again!!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #101
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
Psst...add a couple drops of dishsoap to your oxyclean solution. It'll work just as good or better than PBW.
Really? What's that do, help it rinse better?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #102
bnhocking
Recipes 

I will never use OxyClean again. I usually storage the leftover PBW in unused kegs and then reuse it, assuming it is fairly clean. When I go to use the keg after say a month the inside is unbelievably clean. Tried this with OxyClean and it crystallized on the inside of my keg the only thing that got it off was my buddies power washer. Maybe with soft water this might not have happened. I have once forgot to sanitize a carboy but had just washed it out with PBW and I never had a bit of infection. A little PBW goes a long way, put it in a spray bottle and reuse it, 5 Star says that it is ok to do that.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #103
bnhocking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
And it's not even 100% it's 30%
Sodium Metasilicate is cheap stuff $1.50 a pound in a 50 pound bag.

I'm sure you can get it in smaller volumes tho.
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemic...asilicate.html

I put a natural bristle paint brush in sodium metasilicate solution that was clogged with years and years of old oil paint. The solution strength was maybe a quarter cup of the powder to a quart of water.

It stripped away all the old paint and started to denature the brush. The bristles became permanently limp and without any body. The brush was ruined

The lesson for me was this stuff is strong.
http://www.chemicalland21.com/indust...TASILICATE.htm

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #104
GNBrews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhocking View Post
I will never use OxyClean again. I usually storage the leftover PBW in unused kegs and then reuse it, assuming it is fairly clean. When I go to use the keg after say a month the inside is unbelievably clean. Tried this with OxyClean and it crystallized on the inside of my keg the only thing that got it off was my buddies power washer. Maybe with soft water this might not have happened. I have once forgot to sanitize a carboy but had just washed it out with PBW and I never had a bit of infection. A little PBW goes a long way, put it in a spray bottle and reuse it, 5 Star says that it is ok to do that.
PBW contains some phosphates which keep everything in solution, even with hard water. Oxiclean isn't meant to be stored, which is why you ended up with that calcium scale. It can be removed easily with a mild vinegar solution if you ever have that problem again.
jsguitar Likes This 
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #105
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Another vote for oxy.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #106
WalterAtMarchPump

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have no idea what exactly the PBW is made from, but someone called me a little while back and they told me they found something posted about it that it can "lift Teflon" ????
Just wondering if anyone knows the composition of this stuff or has an MSDS on it....wondering if it is possibly affecting the Teflon thrust washers in our pumps and possibly giving some of you grief!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #107
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You'll have to pry my PBW from my cold dead hands. It makes carboy and flask cleaning a dream.

Like Starsan, this stuff can be used over and over again. It may get dirty and nasty, but its still an effective cleaner after several uses. I usually just recapture it in a milk jug.
Kegged: Amber Ale, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest, Nut Brown Ale, Pilsner, Maier Bock, Brown Ale, Cream Stout, Am. Amber, Vienna Lager.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #108
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
I have no idea what exactly the PBW is made from, but someone called me a little while back and they told me they found something posted about it that it can "lift Teflon" ????
Just wondering if anyone knows the composition of this stuff or has an MSDS on it....wondering if it is possibly affecting the Teflon thrust washers in our pumps and possibly giving some of you grief!
Walter, check out this post: here

It looks like PBW is capable of destroying the bonding agent that makes Teflon stick to a cooking pan but doesn't actually hurt the Teflon itself

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #109
WalterAtMarchPump

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #110
MedicMang
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Old thread, but I have a couple questions.

Is the stuff you guys are using called Sun Oxygen All Purpose Stain Remover? $5.47 for 6 lbs at Walmart? I have a Keggle that I need to clean really well. What kind of ratio should I use to do a really good soak? Hot water? The Keggle has been sitting outside, so I want to TURBO CLEAN the thing. Or... since it is a one time clean, would it be worth just spending the money on the PBW? I am really on the fence about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.