Overcarbed My Keg - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Overcarbed My Keg
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Buzz_Armstrong
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I cranked it up and shook the heck out of it, and now it's pouring glasses of pure foam. How can I get the carbonation back down to a normal level?


__________________
--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,507
Liked 7368 Times on 5208 Posts


How long has it been sitting, without being shaken? Sometimes it's fine after it sits for a while, and it's not overcarbed. Kind of like soda- shake it and it's foamy but after it sits for a while it's ok. What temperature is it? Warming it up a bit, and pulling the pressure relief valve will get rid of some excess co2.

If it's foaming, though, it's not necessarily overcarbed, that's why I'm asking the questions. I'm not trying to give you a hard time! What pressure/temperature/procedure have you used so far?


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sketerbuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 383
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


just take it off the c02 and pull the relief valve every couple of hours it will be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Buzz_Armstrong
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


It's at around 40 degrees, maybe a bit cooler. I've run two other kegs through this setup recently and the only difference was the high pressure shake-up technique. By the way, it worked awesome! It went from flat to foamy in just a few minutes. It's been sitting for a couple of days now and still poured pretty foamy. It settled a lot faster today but I still ended-up with 3/4 a glass of beer when it settled down.

I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!

Thanks.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,507
Liked 7368 Times on 5208 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
It's at around 40 degrees, maybe a bit cooler. I've run two other kegs through this setup recently and the only difference was the high pressure shake-up technique. By the way, it worked awesome! It went from flat to foamy in just a few minutes. It's been sitting for a couple of days now and still poured pretty foamy. It settled a lot faster today but I still ended-up with 3/4 a glass of beer when it settled down.

I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!

Thanks.
Are you calling me "buddy?". I hope so- that's awesome. Not too many guys call me that. One guy called me "dude" which was kinda cool.

Well, if it's pouring foamy, there are a couple of things you can do. As Sketerbuck said, you can pull the pressure relief valve every so often, and that will help. Do you have it on the gas now? If you do, what pressure? Also, how long are your serving lines?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
android
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,060
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!
hilarious...

do you happen to have a shorter line on this keg than your others?
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Arkador
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,702
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


this is why i don't like the high pressure shakign method.

If you have a couple kegs on hand, there is no need to rush carbing, and you get a better product.

I like to do 30psi for 2 days then back it down to serving pressure for a week.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,375
Liked 775 Times on 432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I dont mind the questions buddy...
Um...you've never met our den mother in person have you.

Loosen your lid. Let the beer sit for 24 hours and the re-fasten the lid and test.

You just need to knock some C02 out of that beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Buzz_Armstrong
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Are you calling me "buddy?". I hope so- that's awesome. Not too many guys call me that. One guy called me "dude" which was kinda cool.

Well, if it's pouring foamy, there are a couple of things you can do. As Sketerbuck said, you can pull the pressure relief valve every so often, and that will help. Do you have it on the gas now? If you do, what pressure? Also, how long are your serving lines?
I started to use "bro" but I remembered that not all Red Wings fans are dudes. "Hey Buddy" is my unisex greeting for all humans, as it makes no assumptions about their view of themselves.

ANYWAY, homie... I've never actually used a measuring tape on the hoses. I asked my wife how long she thought my serving line was and she just laughed at me and said "trust me, its WAY too short". I'll just have to measure it myself later, becuase she's just making jokes about ID/OD and flexibility now... not very helpful.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,507
Liked 7368 Times on 5208 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I started to use "bro" but I remembered that not all Red Wings fans are dudes. "Hey Buddy" is my unisex greeting for all humans, as it makes no assumptions about their view of themselves.

ANYWAY, homie... I've never actually used a measuring tape on the hoses. I asked my wife how long she thought my serving line was and she just laughed at me and said "trust me, its WAY too short". I'll just have to measure it myself later, becuase she's just making jokes about ID/OD and flexibility now... not very helpful.
Now, that's funny right there.

I'm sorry to hear about your short hose troubles, though. If it's over 6 feet long, then you're probably overcarbed and releasing the pressure will fix it. Just like shaking a can of soda, once the beer settles down a bit, it'll be better. My serving lines are about 8 feet long. I keep my beer at 11-12 psi, and it dispenses perfectly. I had 6 feet long lines at the beginning, but did get a little foaming after 1/2 the keg was gone, so I went with longer lines.

If your other kegs dispense ok, then it's probably best to just assume this one is overcarbed, though.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overcarbed keg pingi Bottling/Kegging 5 04-21-2009 05:14 PM
Oops ! Overcarbed hammer one Bottling/Kegging 3 01-13-2009 02:43 PM
Overcarbed dataz722 Bottling/Kegging 4 07-30-2008 12:28 AM
Overcarbed Keg, will it get better? ScoutMan Bottling/Kegging 3 11-19-2007 12:59 AM
Hypothetical overcarbed keg clayof2day Bottling/Kegging 11 11-22-2006 05:03 PM


Forum Jump