Backsweetening question? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweetening question?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
timmystank
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 179
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts



When backsweetening cider I know the norm is to use unfermentables but I want to use more apple juice. Could I use sugar free apple juice? Will the preservatives mess up carving? Or add campden tablets, wait a week then add regular apple juice? I know it long winded but I'm
unsure of how this all works with bottle carbing.

Edit: Im missed the fact that I want to increase volume from 4 gal to 5 while backsweetening and bottle carbing. Any ideas? Just want it a little sweeter.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
EvilTOJ
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,401
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


sugar free apple juice? Apple juice *is* sugar, and adding artificial apple juice to it will make a sub-par product. The only way you'll get carbonated cider AND backsweetened with apple juice is to kill the yeast with campden and sorbate, then keg and THEN bottle. using campden kills the yeast, which also is what creates carbonation.
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Arkador
 
Arkador's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,702
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
sugar free apple juice? Apple juice *is* sugar, and adding artificial apple juice to it will make a sub-par product. The only way you'll get carbonated cider AND backsweetened with apple juice is to kill the yeast with campden and sorbate, then keg and THEN bottle. using campden kills the yeast, which also is what creates carbonation.
+1 for that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RedIrocZ-28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 845
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts


EvilTOJ, you are saying you have to use Campden AND Sorbate?

I have an interest in this specifically because I have 3 gallons of Cider that I want to carbonate, but backsweeten with real Raspberry.

How much would I add to off the yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
CBBaron
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Cleveland
Posts: 2,786
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
EvilTOJ, you are saying you have to use Campden AND Sorbate?

I have an interest in this specifically because I have 3 gallons of Cider that I want to carbonate, but backsweeten with real Raspberry.

How much would I add to off the yeast?
Should be 1 Campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon. The sorbate package probably includes instructions on the label.

For best results when stabilizing use both sorbate and sulfite.

Craig

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
nebben
 
nebben's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Now legal in Utah
Posts: 1,145
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Should be 1 Campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon. The sorbate package probably includes instructions on the label.

For best results when stabilizing use both sorbate and sulfite.

Craig
I can confirm from personal experiences that sorbate alone wont be enough to keep even aged+clarified cider that has sat for months from restarting fermentation after backsweetening.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
timmystank
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 179
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
I can confirm from personal experiences that sorbate alone wont be enough to keep even aged+clarified cider that has sat for months from restarting fermentation after backsweetening.


How about backsweetening with splenda?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
EvilTOJ
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,401
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


You can certainly backsweeten with Splenda, it's a non-fermentable sugar. Lactose is another sugar you can use to backsweeten, as it's non-fermentable as well.
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RedIrocZ-28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 845
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts


Ok, so campden and sorbate to euthanize the yeast then -> keg, carb, bottle?

Got it. Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Killer_Robot
 
Killer_Robot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 215
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Taste a sample with Splenda before adding it to the whole batch, though. Some like how it goes with cider better than others, so make sure you like the taste.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backsweetening lowlife Mead Forum 8 10-08-2009 06:58 PM
Apfelwein backsweetening Dagatris General Techniques 6 10-07-2009 03:00 AM
Is filtration enough to allow for backsweetening? Tonedef131 Bottling/Kegging 8 06-29-2009 10:52 PM
Backsweetening Question claphamsa Mead Forum 3 06-05-2009 12:32 PM
Cloudy after backsweetening dqeuvtcxotaa Mead Forum 10 04-12-2008 04:53 PM


Forum Jump