Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > metal taste in my kegged brew

Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
drlowlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default metal taste in my kegged brew

Hi everyone and thanks in advanced.

I'm new to kegging and recently purchased a 5 gallon soda keg kit with hoses, regulator, and co2 tank. I had the co2 filled at the local welding store, which i was assured the gas was safe for keggging beer or soda. Problem is that, i finally kegged an ipa yesterday at 30psi at about 70 degees F, then put in my fridge (about 45degrees F) at 13 psi over night.

Btw, i rinsed the keg with dawn detergent then rinsed with 5 star stanitizer and flushed the lines.

I know it's not ready for drinking yet, but I wanted to sample it to see the difference between bottled and kegged homebrew.....the taste was a horrible metalic flavor that lasted for minutes. I'm wandering if the keg or co2 tank is defective or if the co2 gas is not ok for beer.

any imput would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

When I had a metallic tasting beer I traced it back to my kettle filter (mostly SS) that I had soaked for a couple days (re. lazy) in starsan and didn't give it a good enough rinse before I used it.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

From what I've heard, the star san can cause a metallic taste. I use it all the time, though, and haven't had that problem yet.
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I had a metalic taste once because i didn't replace my wire mesh strainer, and there was a little rust starting to form. It was still a good beer, just had a faint earthy tone.

If you forcecarb agressivly, I would recomend waiting a couple days to drink it. I found a nasty taste when i did the 20min carb trick and tried it 30min later. 2 days later, it tasted nice and malty.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
drlowlife
Recipes 

sorry it's not 5 star it is star san that i used. The directions on the star san says to not rinse. Are you guys rinsing anyway? and does that mean I have 5 gallons of beer I'm going to have to toss?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I strongly doubt that the stainless in the keg is imparting any taste to your brew. The gas shouldn't be adding any off flavors, it has been my experience if you use a rapid force carb method that some off flavor can be there for a few days, and mellows right out.

Next batch, bottle a pair of bottles and carb them with cooper's carbonation drops, that way you have a control sample of beer that never touched the kegging setup.