Seriously???? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seriously????

Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

I also wouldn't have dumped it. I'd have drained to the carboy, probably re-racked to another carboy with a mesh bag over the cane just in case, then gone ahead with the 4.5 gallons I had left. It would get racked once again to go to keg, there is no possible way for glass or metal to get through all that.

On the other hand I use all digital thermometers, so no chance of breaking one in the pot. Hydrometer samples are always done in the tube not in the carboy.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
Arkador

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
Too little too late.... down the drain to the beer gods.....
I shed a tear at that one, and am going to buy a new metal thermometer at lunch today! My glass thermometer has never broken, but i knoched some glass shards off a hydrometer before, dropping it into a glass carboy (Silly, I know)

Once i replace the thermometer, the only glass in my brewing process is the 6G carboy and the pint I am drinking.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Missouri
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I too shed a tear.... or two.... It's a hard lesson learned. Needless to say, I'm now saving my pennies for a metal thermometer. I've got another kit at home and an extra GLASS thermometer that I may use tonight. It will be a memorial brew for my oatmeal stout (even though its an Irish red kit). Well, maybe my sad story has saved someone else's beer in the future....

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #25
DeuceK
Recipes 

May 2009
Tampa

+1 Arneba28. Can't go wrong with the probe. You can set a target temp. and it will beep if you go over so it, that way you don't have to stand over your wort/steeping/sparge water the entire time. Also helps when cooking!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #26
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Missouri
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Anyone got a link to a good quality digital/probe thermometer?

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
alpo
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Honestly, they all kind of suck. As far as I know, anyway. I've gone through probably 6 of them in as many years. There's only a couple manufacturers, but they sell the same product under 20 brand names... Oneida, Polder, etc., they are all the same.