Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottling alone?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default bottling alone?

So far, I've had help bottling my beer. However, I've got a porter ready to be bottled and I'm itching to get it done, but I've got no help (sad, I know ). I have the standard "red baron" capper, which seems like it would be difficult to use solo - two hands on the capper, none on the bottle, which just seems ripe for bottles tipping and/or slipping off the counter.

Is it doable? Any tips, tricks, or other advice?

My Beer Cellar

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
jeffk14
Recipes 

I've always bottled alone. I usually make a mess. Never used those "wing" cappers though.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I have bottled alone many times and the trick I use is putting the bottles into a box, milk crate what ever and filling them. Then I go back and cap them once I am done filling. Though I have since moved on to mini kegs and swing top caps which makes things a whole lot easier and less time consuming.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bottle my beer alone. I just fill a bottle ,rest a sanitized cap on top till I get 12 or 24.
Then cap em. I put a folded towel on the counter and set the bottle on it to prevent it from slipping. Seems to work fine.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Trubadour
Recipes 

I've used the wing cappers alone, and I've never knocked a bottle over doing it. Just keep it straight up and down. And when I bottled, I always did it on the floor.

My Keezer

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Shwagger
Recipes 

sit on the floor, put the bottle between your legs (or feet depending on belly size), and double hand the capper.

easy peasy

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjibbad View Post
I have bottled alone many times and the trick I use is putting the bottles into a box, milk crate what ever and filling them. Then I go back and cap them once I am done filling. Though I have since moved on to mini kegs and swing top caps which makes things a whole lot easier and less time consuming.
how did you use the capper? I mean, if they're in milk crates or boxes (as mine are when I fill them), you can't extend the levers on the capper all the way without taking the bottles out and doing them one at a time

EDIT: WOW - you guys are fast - I wrote two sentences and had answers. Thanks.

My Beer Cellar

Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I take the bottles out to cap. I have spilled beer before and House6 was angry. It takes a bit longer but it ensured the safety of my brew.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I bottled 25 batches or so by myself with a capper like that, befor eI went to kegging. Never lost a bottle. No real advice, other than go slowly, and put a towel under the bottles to help with the slipping.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I'm not sure what your issue about the capper is.....BUT there's a whole thread of bottling tips by me and my friends here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew