Gatlinburg... More Like Craplinburg! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Gatlinburg... More Like Craplinburg!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 269 Times on 134 Posts

"Death is always with us"

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
dash14251
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Georgia

dude, gatlinburg is a joke. the best thing you might find is a winery. im a wine guy, but fruit wine, so basically im a beer guy that doesnt want to make beer cuz its not strong enough if youre going to the trouble to make something.

but seroiusly, go to pisgah forest and hike to looking glass. you will not regret it i promise

Old 05-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
SowegaBrews

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Knoxville, TN
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash14251 View Post
dude, gatlinburg is a joke.

but seroiusly, go to pisgah forest and hike to looking glass. you will not regret it i promise
i lived in Knoxville for a time and would go to Galtlinburg to snowboard occasionally if i didn't have the time/money to drive to Boone. That place definitely sucks. The only positives are the hiking around it. I had an epic hiking trip about 20 mins outside of Gatlinburg a few years back.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
captianoats
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Jasper IN
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I did find go to the brewery, they have an excellent porter and a really good pale ale. The winery was average at best.

She told me they brew all of their fruit wines as extracts, says that's the only way they "they don't end up with brandy" Silly tourists towns.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Bedlam

Recipes 

Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts

Personally, I am very grateful for Gatlingburg. It keeps you tacky crap tourists out of my area of the Appalachains.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

What did you weenies think Gatlingburg was? A magical place with rainbows and unicorns? It's a tourist trap, a place to go to spend lot's of money. Not unlike thousands of other places in the USA.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 AM   #17
nealf

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Hiram, GA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Man... I have been to Gatlinburg a few times... it sucked.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #18
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I visited Gatlinburg in the 80s. It was nice back then.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #19
HenryHill

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Perry, MI
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I used to go thru the Smokeys several times a year, always over the top on 444, but it was 10-15 years ago.

Back then, Pigeon forge was the worst thing I had ever seen, or could ever imagine. A mini Vegas strip of the lowest form of tourist traps, with every conceivable fast food joint within every mile, for miles and miles on end. It was like a Daytona Beach of 'bleh'. It can't have gotten any better.

It was a godsend to get to Gatlinburg, but I rarely stepped out of the vehicle within the city limits. It reminds me of Mackinaw Island, with less water and more hills. An 8 year old's delight, with the cheesy attractions, taffy and fudge.

BUT, the rivers are made of boulders, on a steep angle going down the mountain, right next to the road, pretty much the whole way on both sides of the mountain. Clingman's Dome, Mt Mitchell, Pisgah and the Blue Ridge Trail going NE is killer. Mt Michell is the tallest peak east of the Mississippi.

Alpine.

The 'Burg' is grossly over rated, but you can't say enough about the land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #20
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 125 Times on 88 Posts

I went there for my honeymoon.. all i could find was a couple wineries.. and a place called the Fox and Parrot Tavern.. its in the arts and crafts district.. they had a few decent things on tap there.. at least they did when I was there.. they are a traditional english pub so look for just english stuff on tap.