Anybody ever heard of "Golden Hops" Humulus lupulus Aureus? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Anybody ever heard of "Golden Hops" Humulus lupulus Aureus?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
heavysteve
Recipes 

Nov 2008

A local garden/farm center is selling something called Golden hops(not golding). Can these be used to brew? Cant find much info with my Google-fu.

Also is there any way to tell male/female plants other then flowers? These ones havent developed any yet and I want to make sure they are useable.

Otherwise the price is right and I dont have to special order. They also carry a variety just called "Common hops" which, from what I understand, are just a darker variety of the Golden hops.

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
JarrodH
Recipes 

Jan 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

According to List of hop varieties by country of origin - Home Brewing Wiki there is a Golden Star variety from Japan.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The gold could be sunbeam. Common hops may be Ornamental hops.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

I'd bet on it being Sunbeam or Sunshine. They are sold more as ornamentals than as brewing hops. There is also a Blanca, but it's very difficult to grow outside.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
heavysteve
Recipes 

Nov 2008

Its definitely not the humulus japonicus, The species name is humulus lupulus Aureus, a few fellows on Reddit said it is most likely some kind of wild-ish hop, and should taste something like fuggles.

The Sunbeam variety looks pretty close though, would it be any good for brewing anyway? at least for dry hopping?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

make a weak tea from the cones when they ripen is the only way to find out if they are good or not.
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Sunbeam is like Saazer. I haven't gotten enough off of mine to brew with, the bines have always burned in full sun. I'm hoping that moving it into the shade will improve the growth.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
heavysteve
Recipes 

Nov 2008

Recieved confirmation that it is indeed Sunbeam. Gonna buy a couple and try them out. Thanks all

Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you ever try those out? I picked about a lb from a friend's bine last Summer and have not used them yet. I did pack ,vacuum and freeze them.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
beerymcgee
Recipes 

Apr 2009

I picked some (at least I'm told they were "golden" - wasn't aware until now that was a real variety) from a friend's bine last year as well. I dry hopped with them, because I had no idea what to expect for bittering. Didn't get much aroma - maybe because I didn't use enough, or didn't leave the beer on them long enough...not sure. This year, I'll probably pick them again and try them as a flavor addition.