Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dallas Water Analysis and Question

Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
asdtexas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dallas Water Analysis and Question

For you Dallas AG brewers, I just spoke with the city and they gave me the following all in parts per million (ppm)

Ca 22-54
Mg 1-12
Sodium 10-17
Sulfate 28-121
Chloride 31-105
Bicarbonate estimated to be 45 but have a call in with City Chemist
PH levels average 8.1-9.2

Two questions:
1. This suggests to me fairly alkaline water that is best suited for copper colored ales, up through porters and stouts; however, the general lack of calcium also suggests adding about a tsp of gypsum per 5 gallon batch

2. How will this water report impact brewing lighter colored beers in terms of making adjustments?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I entered the average of your numbers into Palmer's water spreadsheet. Your water is optimum for beers around 6 to 11 SRM. That water is not particularly alkaline, in my opinion. I have well water with bicarbonate around 289 ppm - I would trade for your water anytime.

As you noted, your water should be good for copper colored ales. I would add some calcium carbonate for porters and stouts. Maybe a little Epsom salt to raise the magnesium levels. I would add calcium chloride for malty beers and gypsum for hoppy beers. I would dilute with 20-50% distilled water for very pale beers.

This section from How to Brew explains recommended mineral levels for brewing. The link to the spreadsheet is at the end ofthe section.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15.html

You might also check with other all grain brewers in your area regarding their recommendations for treating the local water.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Reason: added link to spreadsheet

Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
tealio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, old thread. Still here asdtexas? I'm still looking for other posts on this subject here on the border of Dallas / Richardson / Garland.

A) If I'm in Dallas county, does that mean I surely have Dallas water?

B) Do you think the levels change seasonally or are affected in periods of "severe droughts" like right now?

C) I use a refrigerator filter that I hook up to the hose bib outside with a goal to remove particles and rust, but does that affect any other levels? It is a cylindrical filter, not unique to a certain fridge,and reports it is good for 500 gal.

Come on back to the post!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you are in Richardson or Garland, you are probably getting water from the North Texas Municipal water district. See this link for a list of member cities and customers (scroll down to the bottom of the page):
http://www.ntmwd.com/watersystem.html

and this link for the water reports (use the Wylie report):
http://www.ntmwd.com/water_quality.html

I still haven't figured out why they report the same number for both bicarbonate (mg/L) and total alkalinity (mg/L as CaCO3) - they used to have a 61/50 ratio in reports from earlier years, which is what I would expect.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got the water report for garland a couple of months ago, I can post it when I get home

Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
tealio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks local brewers!

I pay the City of Dallas for my water, have Dallas trash etc. - seems kind of stupid, but does that mean I have Dallas water? I live near Centennial and Plano Road.

I'm still trying to get around to do the WardLabs water test, so thanks for the info on the local water.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in Garland and have gotten the water report a few times directly from the Garland Water Department (great folks there). I have found my water profile is great for Browns/Porters/Stouts, but not so much for the lighter and wheat ales without adding minerals. Luckily, I like browns.

Anyway, their email is on their main website and they are really accommodating to homebrewers who need this info. The report they send has more info than you would ever need.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT View Post
I am in Garland and have gotten the water report a few times directly from the Garland Water Department (great folks there). I have found my water profile is great for Browns/Porters/Stouts, but not so much for the lighter and wheat ales without adding minerals. Luckily, I like browns.

Anyway, their email is on their main website and they are really accommodating to homebrewers who need this info. The report they send has more info than you would ever need.
I too am in Garland and got a report from April 2011, my bicarbonate is 113, is that pretty close to the reports you have been getting? Is that the main reason the dark beers come out so well, the alkalinity?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
I too am in Garland and got a report from April 2011, my bicarbonate is 113, is that pretty close to the reports you have been getting? Is that the main reason the dark beers come out so well, the alkalinity?
That's the same number as in the April, 2011 report from the North Texas Municipal Water District (Wylie):

http://www.ntmwd.com/water_quality.html

I wouldn't be surprised if your other numbers are also identical.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
I got the report at home, I'll check and post up later, but that sounds about right from what I saw on my last report. To be honest I am not a pro at water evaluation - got the Palmer book and was using his cheat sheet chart to determine what style beers work best with my water profile.