Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless Conical Fermenter from Bitter Creek Homebrew: Review ala Boerderij Kabouter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WBMI
Posts: 26,642
Liked 3400 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

That looks really nice. Rich is coming up with some really cool stuff.

Imagine three of those behind a bar as serving tanks... your own "mini" brewpub.



__________________
White Dog Aleworks and Drafthouse
mmb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,423
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

FWIW - if it is the same price as the Blichmann but somewhat better I would spend my money on the made in the USA product. I am only tempted by made in China when it is so far below the price of made in USA stuff that I can't resist the temptation to buy. And I hate myself for doing it.

That's just my skewed view of things! I pretty much sub all domestic grains for recipes calling for foreign items as well.


samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Whiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Granville, Ohio
Posts: 735
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Look's like a pretty good setup. Do you know if they plan on making a samller version? Has there been any mention of what these will cost?
__________________
Insert catchy signature here....

Whiskey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,467
Liked 135 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

There will be a smaller version tailored toward 5g brewers.

The cost estimate at this point is to be cost competitive with the Blichmann. I won't make any judgment yet, but based on the physical attributes, this is a way better fermenter and would be a better buy that the Blichmann IMO.
Boerderij_Kabouter is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Displaced MassHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,154
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

That thing looks awesome! Nice review as well.

But.............how much?

One option I would like to see is the possibility of adding a spray ball to the inside of the lid to recirc some star-san for ease of sanitizing (if it's a possibility)


Also, as pretty as that thing is all shined up on the outside I'd be willing to go without if it brought the price down a bit.
__________________
Worthless Brewing Co.
The name says it all
Displaced MassHole is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
MacBruver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 623
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Nice! I've been looking forward to seeing pictures of one of these. Looks good.

The only concern I have are the dimensions. It's a bit "undersquare" compared to the blichmann, and while that does make it take up less floor space it is not as optimal for the fermentation process, from my understanding. Of course if it was really a concern, you could always fill it less

Also- if there is a worry about the bottom dump valve clogging, would the elbow and the small nipple be a problem too? Did that come with the unit?
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Bee Cave Robust Porter (with coconut)
Kegged: Cascade/Citra Amber Ale
MacBruver is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
drez77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palmer MA
Posts: 388
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Although the legs look nice I am not sure how easy it would be to add extensions to them. I used angle iron to add extensions to my Blichmann and added some caster wheels so I can move it around easily. I also like the corny lid on the Blichmann for dry hopping. The 1" bottom valve and the clean exterior for a cooling jacket are pluses on this one though.
drez77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WBMI
Posts: 26,642
Liked 3400 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
The only concern I have are the dimensions. It's a bit "undersquare" compared to the blichmann, and while that does make it take up less floor space it is not as optimal for the fermentation process, from my understanding. Of course if it was really a concern, you could always fill it less
Not really an issue with "optimal" shape but rather an issue with adjusting your process for the different surface area for ester production. Might need to change fermentation temperature or mash temp to duplicate a previous batch that was fermented in a "standard" carboy or bucket but that's not too big a deal.

Eagerly awaiting your results, BK.
__________________
White Dog Aleworks and Drafthouse
mmb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
KevinP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Elk Grove Ca.
Posts: 146
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

+1

My sentiments exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
FWIW - if it is the same price as the Blichmann but somewhat better I would spend my money on the made in the USA product. I am only tempted by made in China when it is so far below the price of made in USA stuff that I can't resist the temptation to buy. And I hate myself for doing it.

That's just my skewed view of things! I pretty much sub all domestic grains for recipes calling for foreign items as well.
KevinP is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #20
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,693
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
Although the legs look nice I am not sure how easy it would be to add extensions to them. I used angle iron to add extensions to my Blichmann and added some caster wheels so I can move it around easily. I also like the corny lid on the Blichmann for dry hopping. The 1" bottom valve and the clean exterior for a cooling jacket are pluses on this one though.
The bottom of each leg is threaded and comes with adjustable leveling feet, which I forgot to send along. You will be able to add extensions to it or Castor's.




Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
Also- if there is a worry about the bottom dump valve clogging, would the elbow and the small nipple be a problem too? Did that come with the unit?
No I added that and just forgot to remove it when I cycled a bunch of hot and cold water through it one day just to see if I could get the racking arm to leak, it passed with flying colors.


SuperiorBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oktoberfestbier (lager) from Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter Boerderij_Kabouter Recipes/Ingredients 46 06-02-2015 06:09 PM
Labels from Boerderij Kabouter Boerderij_Kabouter Label Display & Discussion 97 05-21-2012 05:17 AM
DITCHES (Dual Immersion Thermal Coil Heat Exchange System) Boerderij_Kabouter Brew Stands 154 09-08-2010 04:50 PM
Disaster Strikes Brouwerij der Boerderij Kabouter Boerderij_Kabouter General Chit Chat 17 12-02-2008 03:17 AM
Boerderij Kabouter to Tennessee (Gatlinburg) Boerderij_Kabouter General Chit Chat 9 06-13-2008 06:09 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS