Well, I finally did it. Got a batch of mead into the carboy. This is a low alcohol, low SG mead that I hope will be ready fairly quickly. I am trying for something that I can drink fairly quickly (read a couple of months) so my next batch can take a bit longer and mature while this one is being passed around.
So what I did:
5 pounds Wild Mountain Honey
1 pound Buckwheat Honey
30 Fluid Oz of Pomegranate Berry Concentrate
I combined all of these ingredients with Spring Water, stirred the bejesus out of it, and made sure it was well aerated. Poured it into the carboy and added more spring water to top off. I then aerated and mixed by shaking the carboy vigorously, also making sure the fresh water mixed thoroughly with the already mixed solution. Pitched my yeast, which was re-hydrated with goferm and put it in a closet with an airlock.
Starting SG: 1.060
Lalvin D47 yeast
I plan to aerate the must, and add more nutrients as it goes along here for the first couple of days.
Hopefully it will take off like a rocket and ferment out completely dry. The only issue will be if it turns out really good and I have to try and recreate it from scratch, as the concentrate I used is no longer available. Other than that it tastes good going into the carboy, I hope it tastes good coming out.