Do I have enough patience for this? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have enough patience for this?

Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Apr 2009
Posts: 10

I attempted my first partial mash-an english brown ale. Of course, I have questions...

I followed deathbrewers instructions (easy to follow--thx to deathbrewer). One of my questions has to do with batch size. I start with 2g of strike, two 2g of sparge. After I complete the partial mash, add extract, and complete 60m boil, I ended up with ~2.5g. I then topped it off with another 2.5g. Does a typical recipe account for this loss? Could I taken readings that would influence changing "topping off."? Maybe a 4g batch would have better taste than 5g?

Although I screwed up by not taking premash gravity readings, I ended up with 5g at 1.053. Today, 10 days later, I moved it to the secondary at 1.02... Should I have waited? I'm thinking the primary was still fermenting, but it had slowed down a lot.

Any thoughts on my process? Thanks--any criticism/insight is greatly appreciated.

Here's are the ingredients:
Grains used:
1lb Pale Chocolate (crushed)
1lb Caramel (crushed)
4lb Rahr 2-row (crushed)

Tried to maintain between 150-155 degrees for 1 hour. Conversion after 30m.

At 57 added 4.6aau, 1oz, Fuggle
At 20m added 1/3cup brown sugar
At 15m added 5.4 1oz Kent
At 15m added 1tsp irish moss

At 0m removed from boil—chilled

Pitched whitelabs british ale yeast WLP005

Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Kronin's Avatar
Feb 2009
Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 545
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

1.020 is a bit high still, but no worries it will finish off in secondary... just dont bottle it until you're sure its done!

Primary: Crean Lake Ale, Winter Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Keg conditioning:
Drinking: Edworts Apfelwein, FrostHammer Ale

Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
khiddy's Avatar
Apr 2009
Portland, OR
Posts: 1,203
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, you were a bit high at 1.020, but that's totally reasonable - you should probably expect the yeast to waken a bit in secondary and create a new krausen, so watch carefully for the next day or so to make sure you don't need a blowoff tube. What's your expected FG?
Beeritas Vos Liberabit Brewing
Primaries: BEER Beer (4/8/12); Fisher-Price My First Mead (12/20/10)
Kegged: Hairy Patersbier (1/28/12); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Get Yer Goat Maibock (2/22/12)
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
McGarnigle's Avatar
Jul 2008
Posts: 1,926
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts

I assume you added extract although i don't see it listed.

When it comes to boiling off, you're just concentrating the wort. What you need to think about is wort soaked up by the grains or lost to trub. If you lose a lot there, then you replace the volume with top off water, your beer will be thinner. So the recipe should take that into consideration. The fact that you had an OG of 1.053 suggests that things were okay for you.

Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Gremlyn's Avatar
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,358
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

+1 on the 1.053 being good. Though if you wanted to make it a higher SG, you could measure the gravity after cooling the wort and then calculate how much water you need to add to get your desired starting gravity. BeerSmith can do this for you, orr you can do it by hand:

FG = (% wort of final volume x Wort Gravity) + (% water of final volume x water gravity)

You may have to make some assumptions initially on the math to find the right final volume. So say you start with your 2.5 gal of wort, which I calculated out to be 1.106 based on your previous info and that formula. Now say you want to make a 4 gallon batch, you know that your wort is still 2.5 gal, so that's 62.5% of the total final volume. So the water will be the other 37.5%, and should be 1.000 gravity. (These numbers should all be adjusted for 60F)

FG = (.625 x 1.106) + (.375 x 1.000)
FG = 0.691 + .375
FG = 1.066

Hope this isn't too confusing, let me know if you have questions.
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a little patience... Mingus Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 04-12-2009 02:19 PM
Patience! carnevoodoo General Beer Discussion 5 11-13-2008 04:00 PM
A little bit of (im)patience Denny's Evil Concoctions General Chit Chat 5 03-16-2008 03:44 AM
Patience . . . . Rick_R General Beer Discussion 3 02-03-2008 12:58 AM
No patience!!!! Reverend JC General Techniques 7 12-07-2006 01:26 AM

Forum Jump