Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Dead Hops?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Warrior? Please tell who sells this variety.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #12
killerhertz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Warrior? Please tell who sells this variety.
I bought a rhizome from freshops a month ago. Looks like they're out now...

Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #13
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

most definitely over watered/ overly wet soil... I've got 20 bines with the lower 1/4 looking just the same.... just on a larger scale.... don't water so often... the upper 3/4 of mine now look great.... they will come back just let the soil dry out a bit before you water them again.... I'm down to watering once every 12 days or so and the soil here is a heavy clay so it retains a bit of the moisture.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John View Post
most definitely over watered/ overly wet soil... I've got 20 bines with the lower 1/4 looking just the same.... just on a larger scale.... don't water so often... the upper 3/4 of mine now look great.... they will come back just let the soil dry out a bit before you water them again.... I'm down to watering once every 12 days or so and the soil here is a heavy clay so it retains a bit of the moisture.
As John noted, overwatering will cause the leaves to go yellow. I have some hops in a pasture that gets flood irrigation once a week. I have some others that are watered with soaker hoses - 30 minutes twice a week now and I will increase it to 60 minutes twice a week when it gets hot. If you water heavily and water less often, the roots will go deeper in search of water. The plants get more drought resistant as well. And you minimize the possibility of mildew because the top layer of soil does not stay wet.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 05-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Hopheader
Recipes 

Thanks, Guys. I was prepared (still am) to dig them up this weekend and try to cut some rhizone if they're not rotten. It is still quite damp down in the soil and I haven't watered (or rain) in 5 days. It was just a real kick in the A to see my nice first-year bines taking off inside the house, like crazy. Then broke three in the process of putting them outside on strings, then the yellowing/wilting.

But now my siding on the sunnnnnnny south side of my house is complete and I could probably find spots for a few there amongst the Tiger Lilys, strawberries, and wildflowers. Maybe rig up some clips and strings to the roof of the house.

Hey how much 'clearance' should a guy give out from such a surface, ie: attach a post or something out from the gable ends at least a few inches to give the vine some room to grow/wrap around?