The God#%!$ Cops Thread - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The God#%!$ Cops Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
size
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Iowa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so there i am, at work, having ONE beer (sierra nevada PA) while i swept and mopped.

hop in my car to drive home, pass a parked cop on the way home. i know i have a burnt out tail light, and it IS 4:15am, but I had the pizza place I work for's sign on my car signaling i'm a delivery driver. we never get pulled over as long as we put that sign on our car, cops SHOULD have something better to do.

BAM, 2 cops on my tail immediately.

i had had that ONE beer about a half hour ago, and he still smelled it on my breath. all right, fine. but i was completely coherent, very polite, and completely compliant. no field sobriety test or breathalyzer necessary.

but alas, the cops didn't agree, so i had to waste 20 minutes of good drinking-at-home time pleasing the boys in blue.

but looking back, it was a bit funny:
Cop: So how many drinks have you had tonight?
Me: Just one.
Cop: Just one? What did you have?
Me: A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Cop: Sierra Nevada huh? Is that like an IPA or something?
Me: Well actually, an IPA is an india pale ale, while this is just a pale ale. see the difference is in the hop content and usually the alcohol level. while an IPA might average around ~8% alcohol, a pale ale is usually a bit lower. they named it an india pale ale because in the 1800's.... oh wait. this isn't relevant, is it?
Cop: Can I have you step out of the car please?

long story short after an extensive field sobriety test and breathalyzer he let me go with a verbal warning. he was kind of being unnecessarily dickheadish, and left me with a slight case of the shakes after the ordeal. but no harm no foul.

so what experiences have you guys had with the cops? any close calls? should-have-gotten-arresteds? gotten completely screwed over?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
pizzaman
Recipes 

Feb 2009
San Antonio, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow, so you were drinking at work, and then broke the law by drinking and driving. Gotta say I'm on the cops side on this and most other issues. If you're gonna take the chance to risk another persons life, no matter how good of a driver you are, you'd better just buck up if you happen to get pulled over and quit your whining. I have nothing but respect for police, even the dickheads and the crooked ones. They're out there every day doing a job to make this country a better place to live. Anyone who has a problem with cops has a problem with America and yadda yadda blah blah blah explicative you know where I'm going with this.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Wow, so you were drinking at work, and then broke the law by drinking and driving.
Driving after one beer is not breaking the law.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Oct 2008
San Antonio
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah, comon. I goto dinner and have 1 beer. YOu telling me I am breaking the law? Please I've seen other things affect drivability more than 1 beer.

A few years ago, I was installing a window unit AC at my mom's house. It took me about an hour, but it was 101 deg F outside. After I was done, she gave me 1 beer, I drank that in about 2 sec. I immediately left to go home. Got pulled over for Registration sticker being expired. Luckily I had the new sticker in my visor, just hadnt applied it. He kept asking if I'd been drinking. I kept saying know. I got the shakes then too!

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
purechaos
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Indianapolis
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

one time a cop pulled over a drunk driver and took them to jail, the driver was going to crash head on into me and my family while we were coming home from visiting with family.... Could have happened.

While it was an inconvenience for you, it was 4am, only a small fraction of people who are out at this time are not committing a crime. You just happened to be on the right side of the percentage.

I have been pulled over for worse, but I just accept it as the price to pay to keep the streets safe for my family.

FWIW, I was driving from my office to a gas station 4 blocks away to get a pepsi. I was pulled over in my truck for not having a seat belt on.

In Indiana there is no motorcycle helmet law, but I have to wear a seat belt. I received a $25 ticket. Was I happy? Hell no, but I knew the law and paid my ticket.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 404 Times on 319 Posts

When I used work as a pizza delivery driver I went through cars like crazy; all beaters, of course. One particular night I got off of work (at 3 in the am), drove home and walked down to the Quickie mart to buy some groceries - or not. The all night quickie mart was closed for 2 hours for cleaning. So I get back in my beater car and drive to a grocery store, which I'm not even sure is open, and toddle on down the road. Now bear in mind that one head light works and neither brake light comes on. Now watch me as I pull into the parking lot only to discover the store is also closed, the cop (who I didn't see) flips on his lights and the conversation went something like this:

Cop: How ya doing?

Me: Fine, is there a problem officer?

Cop: Yeah, did you know that you've only got one headlight working and no lights in the back?

Me: (look of surprise) Really? Aw, ****...

After an explanation in which I pleaded ignorance and poverty...

Cop: Well, look... I'll just drive behind you to make sure you get home safe, ok?

Me: Riiight....

Turns out we both had a mutual friend too so no harm, no foul type of deal. Still, the next day I went out and fixed everything that I could afford on my car.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Houston
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Wow, so you were drinking at work, and then broke the law by drinking and driving. Gotta say I'm on the cops side on this and most other issues. If you're gonna take the chance to risk another persons life, no matter how good of a driver you are, you'd better just buck up if you happen to get pulled over and quit your whining. I have nothing but respect for police, even the dickheads and the crooked ones. They're out there every day doing a job to make this country a better place to live. Anyone who has a problem with cops has a problem with America and yadda yadda blah blah blah explicative you know where I'm going with this.
Did you have your glass of DEE DE DEEE this morning? LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
I have nothing but respect for police, even the dickheads and the crooked ones.
How is that?

To the OP,
You have to expect that if the cop can smell beer on your breath, he/she has to assume you had more than one. I takes a few BMCs to get the same strength of smell that 1 SNPA would give. I am sure they have smelled people with a similar aroma that have blown over the limit.

Plus, your little speech about IPAs might not have helped.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 404 Times on 319 Posts

Any crooked cop does not deserve respect.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
uglygoat

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

cops like when you lead them on high speed chases at four am. try that next time.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.