Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > old yeast?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Limited Visibility
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default old yeast?

I just attempted my second 1 gallon batch yesterday

2# orange blossom flagstaff honey
Zest from 3 small oranges
3/4c (-1tbsp) squeezed juice from oranges
Zest of 1 med lemon
1/2tsp yeast energizer
1tsp yeast nutrients
Wyeast Sweet Mead #4184

Purchased store water Crystal Glacier

Ok I just checked my gravity... didn't want to start another one of those threads about fermentation without checking for myself. Still at 1.092

Here was my process

I heated up 1/3 gallon water to 115 and added the honey, stirred until combined. I had zested the oranges and the lemon and placed them into my fermenting container (1 gallon jug the water came in #1 recycle) and then I had added the 1/3 gallon of honey water to the jug. Once that was complete I filled the container leaving a couple of inches for fermentation when it starts. I waited until the temp came to about 98 and then I added the nutrients and energizer.

I pitched the yeast once it came down to 74 from a water bath. I had the smack pack which by the time I pitched had been out for about 2 hours after smack. Right before I pitched I sealed it up and shook to aerate. So I pitched that and stuck it into my cabinet which sits around 66-68. Checked today and no signs of fermentation, and I just checked gravity so I am stuck.

Anyways... I pulled out my pack of yeast from the trash to check the date and it was from DEC08. Is this too old because when I pitched the yeast it was not as "puffy" as some I have used before?