Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > SE Mass Group Brew

Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default SE Mass Group Brew

As hinted at in another thread or two, we are putting together a group brew and it'll be over Father's Day Weekend.

As of right now, we have a 60 gallon wine barrel lined up and PaulTheNurse and I are working on a recipe for what we are currently thinking will be a reasonable faximile of Russian River's Consecration. Consecration is a good sized dark ale (ABV of about 10.5%) with some bugs and then aged in a wine barrel for six months with currants.

In terms of that weekend... long story short... my wife is taking our two sons away for the weekend for an annual family event her family does... and my father's day gift is being able to sit home solo and brew non-stop all weekend. I think there will be a few South Shore Brew Club guys there. We're thinking about tossing a large amount of meat over fire, cigars, beer, a ton of brewing and then a poker game is even taking shape already for that evening.

So as of right now, PTN and I are looking for brewers to help us fill the barrel. The barrel will be about $120 we think and we don't know what the ingredients are going to be since we are still working on the recipe. We haven't decided how we are going to split up the costs but if anyone is interested, let us know and we'll figure out all of the details as a group (including the final recipe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You're gonna need yeast

LOTS AND LOTS OF YEAST

Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

We'll get it...

What's your story? You making an appearance? I know you called a couch but I didn't know if you were serious.

... and what are you thinking??? SWMBO and the boys are gone... call one of the spare bedrooms!

Quote:

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If the wife is working Saturday night I am in for Friday evening, if she isnt working we are camping.

As of right now I am boiling the winning beer for your cookout..........whats my trophy gonna look like?

I may be able to get it, what did you want to use?
I have that yeast I used in my Golden Strong that I was planning on brewing another Belgian with for a SOWAH BEEAH!
If the timing is right I can provide some fresh slurry.
Yeast is Wyeast 1388

Quote:
Classic yeast for this beer style. Robust flavor profile with moderate to high alcohol tolerance. Fruity nose and palate, dry, tart finish. May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 389 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Brian,
I'm scheduled to work that weekend, I thought your Fathers Day event was going to be seperate from the Flagellation? (I've asked around but so far none of my workwives are jumping up and down looking to take the hours off my hands)

PTN

Old 05-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Ahhh... gotcha... sorry... I thought we were in the clear for that weekend. Oh well, I'm still going to be brewing my azz off. I might even take that Friday off and then I think a few of us will still be brewing.

Also... that's the weekend of hte American Craft Beer Fest so that would have probably put a dent in the potential brewer list.

We'll figure out another weekend really soon..

In the end, we still need some additional brewers so if anyone is interested, let us know

Quote: