Originally Posted by extexan
I am putting together the ingredients for my next batch of Tequiza. The last batch I made turned out to be one of my favorites of all time.
3lbs moravian pale malt
2 lbs agave nectar
1 oz german hallertauer
I intend to kick up the malt to 5 lbs and the nectar to 3 lbs this batch as the gravity was a little on the low side.
I ended up using 5 lbs of pale malt (the lightest I could find) and 4 lbs of agave nectar. I am going to update this when I get home to check my recipe database. I made this beer last year, and I didn't use enough lime juice for the priming and it was a little flat tasting without the lime tartness.
Here is the entire recipe...both of the ones I have done
3 lbs Moravian dme
2 lbs agave nectar
1 oz german hallertauer pellets
Wyeast 1007, pitchable
To 3 gallons of 180° water, add extract and nectar and hops. Bring to boil for 1 hour. Cool and will pitch yeast when it is ready.
finally started to ferment…nice krausen
I racked today. Gravity at 1.022, plus or minus. It was fermenting when I racked it, and when I was done, it seemed dead. I then shook it and this morning (23rd) it has taken off again to the point where I had to put on another blowoff tube. I am starting to wonder if maybe it got infected, as for the extremely long lag time.
checked gravity…1.014 today, and still fermenting. I will wait a while longer before bottling. Perhaps it will drop a couple of more points.
gravity at 1.008..will be gone for a week, that should be enough time to bottom out.
bottled today to scant ¾ C corn sugar, and the juice of 3 limes, which came out to around ½ C. I did not check the gravity before adding the primers, but at the end of bottling it was 1.009….we shall see.
Make sure and use a starter as the agave can be difficult to ferment…remember?
5 lbs Moravian dme
2? Lbs agave nectar
german ale yeast
prime with lime juice, 2, squeezed and strained
Here is the '07 version
3 lbs light dme
1 lb wheat dme
3 lbs less 2 oz agave nectar (www.organicnectar.com
1 oz cascade pellets
1 oz herzbrucker hallertauer whole hops
wyeast 1007 from a 1 qt starter (2C malt)
February 5, 2007
To 3 gallons of 200-degree water, I put the malts and nectar, dissolved, and returned to heat. I then added the cascade hop pellets in a hop bag. I boiled for 50 minutes then added the hallertauer in another bag to the end of the boil (60 min). I cooled the wort to 85 degrees. I had put the other two gallons of water into the freezer to get them very cold, and I poured them into a 6-½ gallon carboy. I then added the wort to the carboy. The temp of the wort was at 76 degrees (perfect!). I shook the carboy vigorously for a few minutes to aireate the wort. I then pitched the yeast, which was fermenting very nicely. The original gravity was 1.050. The amount was less than 5 gallons…probably 4.5 gallons. The following day (today) it was bubbling nicely. I originally put a blowoff tube on the carboy as sometimes the nectar can really bubble a lot, but there was only an inch or so of krausen, so I put on an airlock.
I racked the beer today into a 5 gal carboy. The gravity is at 1.004…excellent. Now we’ll just wait for it to clear and then bottle to ¾ C corn sugar and the juice of two limes.
I bottled today. The gravity was at 1.002. I put 1 tsp corn sugar in 22 oz bottles, a ½ tsp corn sugar in 12 oz bottles. I racked the beer into a carboy with the juice of 4 limes.
It wasn’t enough lime juice as the limes were a little dry.
The beer didn't last a month, even though it didn't have much tartness.