Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Avoiding hops while transferring to bottling bucket

Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
willangus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Avoiding hops while transferring to bottling bucket

Ok so I currently have a rather large IPA in secondary that has been dry hopping with a good few ounces of cascade hops. It looks amazing, and the sneaky sample I had when racking it to secondary was fantastic. So I don't want to screw this up.

It is in a carboy, with loose whole leaf hops floating on the top. There is a small amount of trub on the bottom of the carboy from where the fermentation has completed in the carboy. It's been there a week at the moment, I'm going to give it another week before bottling.

What I want to know however, is how to rack it out of the carboy without bringing a load of hops through, or clogging up my racking cane and tube? I've never dry hopped with loose hops before, I usually use a hop bag, I just fancied trying something new.

I was thinking maybe putting a hop bag over the end of the racking cane to stop the hops getting up the tube into the bottling bucket?

Any thoughts or tips?

Up next: 'Ginger Nut' Ginger spiced Pale Ale

Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willangus View Post
I was thinking maybe putting a hop bag over the end of the racking cane to stop the hops getting up the tube into the bottling bucket?
I just recently used this method on an APA that I dry hopped with pellet hops. Worked like a charm. I had no hop particulate in the bottling bucket.