I never understood "horse blanket" - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > I never understood "horse blanket"

Old 05-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts

Then I had my first glass of Orval tonight.

I get it!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

While hints of old leather can be considered an attractive flavor/aroma, horse blanket can never be. Sorry you had to experience it.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

May 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Orval is soooo good.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

OK screw it, I'm going to buy a bottle of Orval TODAY and try it. First it was Wild Brews then Charlie P.'s Tweeting about going to Orval and now you guys keep talking about it..... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRUGH! I can't take it!!

Hard to believe I've tried every trappist but Orval and Westvleteren, but good luck finding the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts

I am always surprised at how many beer enthusiasts have not had Orval. It is hands down my favorite trappist. I think people overlook it because it's available everywhere, it were as hard to get as the Westy stuff people would be paying high prices and trading for it all the time. Possibly the most underrated beer ever, and after they have raised what they need to fund the monastery for the year all extra profits go to charity, so you are supporting a good cause too.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
RayInUT
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Draper, UT
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did an Orval clone that came out great. Just brew up a strong Belgian golden ale, dump a bottle of Orval in the keg, and let it sit for a few months. MMmmmmmmm. Smelling Orval is like smelling opium. It's hypnotic.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts

Here's another Orval fan chiming in. I think it is so great because it is not brash. It is subtle, delicious, and you can drink it all night. Some of the triples and quads can't stand up for all night like that.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Here's another Orval fan chiming in. I think it is so great because it is not brash. It is subtle, delicious, and you can drink it all night. Some of the triples and quads can't stand up for all night like that.
I love Orval, particularly bottles that have aged for a bit. Really accentuates the Brett. The combination of noble hops and Brett is simply delicious.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
jgln
Recipes 

May 2008
Southern, NJ
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
While hints of old leather can be considered an attractive flavor/aroma, horse blanket can never be. Sorry you had to experience it.
I just ordered Belgian yeast described as that. Just had to get it don't know why, figured if they sell it can't be all bad!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Nope, haven't tried it. Might if I was offered a free sample, but given my preferences, I wouldn't pay for a pint.

Had a Belgian in the last judging that was "horse manure". Couldn't figure out anything else to call it. Oddly, once that smell was gone the beer was ok.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk