help with 3 philosophers - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > help with 3 philosophers

Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
leapdog
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Columbia, SC, Columbia, SC

going to try and brew a 3 philosophers type beer. belgian quad with 2% cherry lambic
og 1.096
fg 1.010
abv 11.5%
ibu 26.2

grain bill:
12# belgian 2-row
2# belgian pils
.5# belgian aromatic
3# belgian candi sugar, amber

hops:
.75oz hallertau 8%aa 60 min
1oz saaz 7%aa 20 min

yeast:
wyeast belgian strong ale 1388

any tips on this recipe would be greatly appreciated. i am pretty set on the ingredients, unless someone has strong objections, but am specifically looking for help with fermentation, i.e. how large of a starter would i need. temperature control. And, in order to get the 2% cherry lambic, I was just going to add one bottle of a sam adams cherry lambic... to bottling? not sure on that part.
thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

You're going to need some Special B in there for a good, rather authentic Dark Strong.

Also, Sam doesn't make a Cherry Lambic. They make a Cherry Wheat and a Cranberry Lambic.

To authenticate the 3P, use a bottle of Lindeman's Kriek.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
leapdog
Recipes 

Dec 2008

Yeah, my bad. Totally got the two Sam Adams beers mixed up in my head. Thanks for that. So I will add some special B. What does that contribute? Also, any idea on ferm temps?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
mkling
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Special B is a 180L malt (kind of an extra dark crystal). It'll add a dark, sweet richness to your wort & that's a good thing because at the moment it looks too light in color & flavor to be a Quad. I think leapdog's call on the Special B is an excellent one.

Also, if you were really thinking of adding Sam Adam's Cranberry lambic to your lovely quad, I'd re-think that. SA's cranberry lambic is one of the most villanized beers out there both here on HBT and on sites like BeerAdvocate & RateBeer. It's certainly not a lambic and, personally, one of the poorest craft beers I've had.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
hamilt22
Recipes 

Dec 2008

In the book Brew Like a Monk, Stan Hieronymus details this beer and its recipe. The book is a great read and you can probably find it at your homebrew shop. Take a look next time you're in there (p. 248).

According to him, the recipe calls for:

- Belgian Pale
- Belg Munich
- Flaked wheat malt
- Special B
- CaraMunich
- CaraVienna
- Northern Brewer Hops (only 1 addition)
- OG = 1.087, FG = 1.020

They also add sucrose syrup to the secondary, and use Wyeast 3787.

I'd take a look at the book and collaborate with you brewstore owner. It's a somewhat more complicated recipe/process than usual... Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA
Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Stan H. doesn't elaborate on the Kriek addition... I'd imagine, like the OP said, you could just blend when the brew is done fermenting...

leapdog: Where did you get the 2% figure?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
leapdog
Recipes 

Dec 2008

"leapdog: Where did you get the 2% figure?"
Right on the bottle of 3 philosophers i believe. it says right on it 98% belgian quad/2% cherry lambic. could be mistaken. i will be searching out the lindemans when i brew this early next month. i have settled on a different grain bill. the ingredients are ordered so this will be it:
11# belgian 2-row
2# munich
2# belgian pils
.5# flaked wheat
.5# special b
and 1.5# amber candy sugar added after initial fermentation

hope this gets me somewhere close. if anyone has ideas on starter size and ferm temps please let me know. otherwise i will just be going with the usual start at around 65-68 and then ramp up towards 75-80deg as the fermentation continues.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
mkling
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Yep, got a bottle in my fridge & it says on the front 98% ale, 2% ale with cherries added. And on the side it says it is a classic dark malty Belgian ale with authentic kriek added, a cherry lambic ale.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA
Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Great, guys... Thanks! Might try to fashion something out of Stan H.'s recipe, and factor in the kriek addition. Will be a fall/winter brew though.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
koolmonk66
Recipes 

May 2009
Denver, CO

Randy Thiel from Ommegang is interviewed on The Brewing Network, Sunday Session. I think its from '07 so scroll down a bit and look for Ommegang in the title.

He talks about 3 Philosophers.