Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > McMaster-Carr will not sell to me...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
ivanavich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default McMaster-Carr will not sell to me...

I need new orings!! I placed an order online twice with McMaster-Carr. There was no record of them when I called to follow up. When I explained that it was the second time this happened they put a fellow on told me this was an order that they have determined to be going outside of the country... This is a personal purchase I am making that I ordered to my place of work that contains the word "International" in it... I have a credit card with my work adress for all my online purchases since i'm at work when ups or fedex drop by.

I told this man that the orings were for my personal use and if I ordered to my home could he sell it to me? He said no since he knew what the orings were for. This is their "stance"
I was told any orders placed by a person that is for export will be denied. When I asked how they would determine if it was for export if joe shmo shipped it to his house he said "funny you should ask that but we have methods of finding out."

I'm pissed that I wasn't told these orders did not go through and merely ignored. This company is being unreasonable in assosiating me with my company for any future orders. I understand they can't export but I don't want to export it.

Does anyone know of another place I can get the keg orings cheap?

Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where are you located? I wouldn't mind ordering the rings and shipping them on to you (minus some rings to cover the postage). Of course, this assumes McMaster-Carr doesn't monitor these boards and blacklist me as an evil exporter.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

So wtf, O-rings can be used for al qaida keggers now, so they don't wanna export them, because export companies are all fronts for terrorists or something?!?

Try fastenal.....Home | Fastenal

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 6056 Times on 5221 Posts
Likes Given: 81

You might be able to try Grainger but, I'd just suck it up and try ordering without the business association and have them go to your home. I don't recall if MMC uses USPS service but, if they do (unless you are ordering a crapload of rings) the order is likely to be small enough they'll just stuff it into your mail box.

You could also try Foxx Equipment. They are wholesalers and will likely ask for business info. leagally all you'd have to do is file a use tax on your monthly report.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

order from your home computer or one at the library ..

Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow. Guess they can't sell to IBM then......

I'd call again anyways. This sounds like BS. Are you ordering from the Atl. Warehouse?

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn, what kinda o-rings are you trying to buy?

This seems utterly ridiculous. My guess is the guy is a tool. Maybe you can call again and get someone else? Just don't use the "I" word in the company name.

Good luck

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanavich View Post
... they have determined to be going outside of the country...
I work for a competitor of theirs, although we sell mainly metric components. McM-C has been doing this b/c they have been getting hit with duty penatlies and hassled over product "dumping" laws. In fact, they won't sell to anyone in Canada any longer unless you are a long-standing customer and thus, 'grandfathered' in. My company has been scooping up some of their lost business b/c of these new policies!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

They have ways.....hehehe Sounds like a freakin' retired elementary school teacher to me.
You know though....maybe it's your name. I mean, "Ivan".... Now, if it were something less noticeable, like....say, Mohammed, or Mustaff Herod Upyur Pooper. Then you could order without the hassle.
Dude, you just need an alias.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
ivanavich
Recipes 

How can McM-C be held accountable for exported goods sold to a non company???

Anyway, Rhoobarb, Dunno the specs of what I need since I was basically copy pasting the part numbers from the kegging faq. Do you have part numbers for me to buy them from you (Misumi)? I need all the keging orings basically including pin and ball lock post orings.