Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What parts do I need to keg?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
eatpuppies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What parts do I need to keg?

I purchased a kegging set up on craigslist recently that was for commercial kegs (it's one of the beverage factory ones from all the labels on stuff) and it includes a co2 tank (10lb maybe, about 6in diameter, 18in high) dual gauge regulator, door taper (for fridge) and a sanke tap. To keg homebrew would I just need a picnic tapper (assuming I don't want to put a hole in my fridge) and a reconditioned Cornelius keg? or are there more fittings to?

Also if anyone knows where I can find a keg cheap on the internet that would be great, so far the cheapest I've found is Austin Homebrew at 50 dollars shipped.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

I bought some kegs from Adventures In Homebrewing last December, and they had the best deal I could find. At the time, used kegs were $17.99 a piece. It looks like the price has gone up a little, but still likely hard to beat the price. You'll also need gas and liquid disconnects to hook corny up to the regulator and your picnic tap.

Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Kegconnection.com.. If you cant find what your looking for just call them.

They are great to work with!!

I did get the 4 pack of kegs from Adventure in homebrewing but they have since went up on the price... I would give kegconnection.com a chance.

I just purchased some taps to convert my old fridge to a kegerator and I changed my mind on the order. I called them up to add some items to the invoice.. They threw the items in for free ($20) without even increasing the shipping price.. They have went above and beyond with customer service each time I have purchased from them.

Good luck with your purchase!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
stoneman
Recipes 

Corney kegs and sanke kegs have different connections. Sanke kegs combine the gas and liquid on one post. Corney kegs have separate gas and liquid connections. I think the cheapest I have seen them online is here.
BALL & PIN LOCK KEG CONNECTORS @ Williams Brewing

As for finding corney kegs, you can look online, craigslist, some people even have good luck buying them from restaurants.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
eatpuppies
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keg connection has 30 dollar kegs with a free set of replacement 0-rings, so along with that I also need to order:

KegConnection.com Items
KG101 Cornelius Keg (or Firestone), 5 Gallon, Ball Lock (Pepsi Style) for Homebrew/Soda $29.95 $29.95
DC503 Dis-connect set (2) Ball Lock 5/16 gas, 1/4 liquid barbed $13.89 $13.89
FA602 Draft Party Faucet, with 5 foot Line $5.39 $5.39

Sub-Total
$49.23

KegConnection.com ESTIMATED TOTAL w/ shipping $61.80

Do I need anything else?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might want to get more beer line.. From what I have read the longer the beer line you have the less foam you will have when you pour.. I am using 5 feet which is what came with my setup and wish it was 10. I will be getting longer beer line when I can.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
eatpuppies
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True, but I've also heard you can turn down the pressure to alleviate that problem. Plus I can always stop by the local homebrew store to get some if I need it.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpuppies View Post
True, but I've also heard you can turn down the pressure to alleviate that problem. Plus I can always stop by the local homebrew store to get some if I need it.
just ask them to increase the length of your beer lines. turning down the pressure isn't a good solution for a number of reasons. sure, you can disconnect the 5 footers, buy the length you need at the local lhbs, etc. later on, but if you spend a couple of bucks now to have them make the lines longer, it'll be a lot less hassle and cost you less time and money in the long run.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Nugu
Recipes 

Hit up Pedalbiker in the classified forum for kegs, 4 kegs 100$ + shipping. New rings + holding pressure + kegs came in the best shape I've gotten before, even the outsides were clean along with the insides.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
eatpuppies
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do I need a disconnect set for each keg (assuming I'll only be dispensing out of 1 at a time) or do I need just 1 set for co2 in and beer out lines?