Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry yeast expiration?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
brad97z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry yeast expiration?

I recently brewed my first batch of beer which was a brewers best RIS kit. The kit had been sitting around for about a year and a half. I brewed it two weeks ago now. The kit came with nottingham dry yeast, before pitching i rehydrated per the instructions on the packet in 90-100F water 30min prior to brew and pitched it at the same temp as the wort. Now, after two weeks, i took a gravity reading and the beer is at 1.030, starting was 1.074, which doesn't seem like a very good attenuation rate. The air lock hasn't had any movement (glass carboy) in a while, i tried giving the carboy a little shake to stir the yeast back up but am still not getting any airlock activity. As far as aerating the wort before pitching, i transferred the wort to the carboy by pouring from the kettle through a funnel which whipped quite a bit of air into the beer, i didn't bother to shake the carboy beyond this but looking back maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea. The things i was wondering about where:

Could the low attenuation be caused by the yeast being over a year old?

Will pitching another packet of yeast help things out?

I have read around of people using aquarium pumps to aerate their beer, does anybody have experience with this? Am i right in assuming that there might be the potential for infection with this method, pumping external air throught the wart. Or, is there some kind of filter?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad97z View Post

I have read around of people using aquarium pumps to aerate their beer, does anybody have experience with this? Am i right in assuming that there might be the potential for infection with this method, pumping external air throught the wart. Or, is there some kind of filter?
Shaking it for a good 5 minutes is as or more effective than pumping air through it via a pump (and yes, there is an inline HEPA filter involved to prevent nasties from entering the wort when using a pump).

The two mistakes you made was using old ingredients and not aerating properly. Check http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Arcane...mentation_101/ for suggestions on how to fix the situation.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Before you add air, especially since it's been awhile and you would probably oxydize the heck out of your beer, have you actually taken a hydrometer reading....that is the only way to know what's going on...the airlock or lack of activity is NOT

Revvy's Blog; Think Evaluation before Action.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

with an OG of 1.074 I would of pitched 2 dry yeast packs and aerated the crap out of it preferably with o2

Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I don't think a RIS is a beer to hurry. Give it a month then rack it and give it another month. Warm it up a little. Sing to it.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
Sing to it.
Oh crap...where is the "songs for your yeast" thread when you need it?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Newsman Likes This