Possible aged hop substitute - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Possible aged hop substitute

Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Plan9
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Apopka, FL
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had an idea for the aged hops that are called for in Lambic recipes.

Since they are not meant to impart bitterness or flavor, just be a preservative, what about using previously used hops.

I'm thinking if you saved, rinsed, and dried your hops from a previous boil they would be similar to an old stale hop.

Any opinions?

Central Florida Home Brewers

Instagram

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
boxcar
Recipes 

Feb 2009

wouldnt the boil extract most of the beta acids leaving the hops with little to no preservative effect. just bake some hops ar ask you lhbs for some old hop powder.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Oldsock
Recipes 

Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Liked 252 Times on 167 Posts

Just use less hops. In my opinion the massive quantity of hops is really only needed if you are dealing with a true spontaneous fermentation, and not just pitching a packet of lambic microbes or bottle dregs. Here is a recent long thread on the topic over on the BBB The Burgundian Babble Belt -- Pushing the Homebrew Envelope